S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Use Honda OEM spark plug stem seal not aftermarket

Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use Honda OEM spark plug stem seal not aftermarket

I made the mistake of changing out my spark plug stem seals when I adjusted my valves about one year ago. Stick with the Honda OEM, they have a rubbery feel. I had purchased a kit which came with a new gasket seal and the stem seals, so I used them. Big mistake. The replacements, although soft and rubbery when new got hard and slipped, allowing oil to leak into cylinders 2 and 3, causing a sluggish idle and misfiring problems.

The problems occured gradually so I did not notice anything until the check engine light came on and I got the code PO 1299, for random misfire.

The dealer suggested changing out the coil packs but could not suggest anything else without bring in the car.
I decided to check. Apparently, my bad,enough oil leaked in to impare the operation of the plugs causing the misfiring. The plugs in those two cylinders were also loose. I did not use anti-seize, perhaps I should have, but I recall hearing or seeing something about not using anti-seize.

So if you are experiencing any kind of rough idle, check you plugs. Sometimes they can loosen 18-20 lbs of torque.

Wanted to share this with anyone else.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2002
I made the mistake of changing out my spark plug stem seals when I adjusted my valves about one year ago. Stick with the Honda OEM, they have a rubbery feel. I had purchased a kit which came with a new gasket seal and the stem seals, so I used them. Big mistake. The replacements, although soft and rubbery when new got hard and slipped, allowing oil to leak into cylinders 2 and 3, causing a sluggish idle and misfiring problems.

The problems occured gradually so I did not notice anything until the check engine light came on and I got the code PO 1299, for random misfire.

The dealer suggested changing out the coil packs but could not suggest anything else without bring in the car.
I decided to check. Apparently, my bad,enough oil leaked in to impare the operation of the plugs causing the misfiring. The plugs in those two cylinders were also loose. I did not use anti-seize, perhaps I should have, but I recall hearing or seeing something about not using anti-seize.

So if you are experiencing any kind of rough idle, check you plugs. Sometimes they can loosen 18-20 lbs of torque.

Wanted to share this with anyone else.
Good info, thank you I will retorque mine just incase