S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Urgent - need advice

Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Due to the bald tires I think we can safely rule out any high G related cornering induced blowby.

If you price this car based on engine replacement, trans replacement, rebuilt diff, and new clutch, along with the known brakes and tires, and if you'll do most of the work yourself, and price based on something for your time, well then this car would be an ok purchase. Oh, and the shipping costs, since you can't drive it home.
The following users liked this post:
ragtophardtop (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Man you don't see many horribly cared for 08's (you don't see many 08's period) but yeah it is good you walked away. Sounds like you'd just find more and more issues with the car. I don't understand how someone could let a car go like that but its probably why it is with some random dealer and not being sold be the prior owner. Sad.
Yeah, it's sad. Single owner car until 3 weeks ago, an old guy. Completely stock, exterior in excellent condition. I'm surprised too, I'm guessing there was little to no maintenance outside of oil changes. It's with a private party now. The current owner claims to have had plans to modify it, then purchased a highly modified pony car with an odometer discrepancy instead because it was "cheaper to get the power he wanted". Honestly I don't understand how a person could do that either.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Due to the bald tires I think we can safely rule out any high G related cornering induced blowby. If you price this car based on engine replacement, trans replacement, rebuilt diff, and new clutch, along with the known brakes and tires, and if you'll do most of the work yourself, and price based on something for your time, well then this car would be an ok purchase. Oh, and the shipping costs, since you can't drive it home.
Gotta add in the new top also.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Its not like there is much maint to do on these cars, you could pretty much neglect to do anything other then change the oil for 150k+ and still not have this issue, which makes me wonder if this was one of the unlucky DBW cars with overly tight exhaust valves 20k into its mileage and this eventually got to cooking the piston rings after it cooked through the valves. I would expect some misfire CEL on this car either way though with this much oil being ingested.

At any event, I dont care how good cosmetically this car looks, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole with all its drivetrain issues. Not worth the trouble at really any price to me. To someone it might be worth about 6k as it sits, to the right person willing to bring it back to life in their own garage. It would not be worth paying someone to do it with cost of labor on top though when you can find well sorted good mileage DBW cars for around 19-20k.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Not really. Bad/worn valve guides/seal will allow oil into the combustion chamber were it is burned, not push raw oil out of the breather which is purely a symptom of poor compression ring sealing. An improper functioning PCV isn't going to have this effect. The ap1 has baffling in the valve cover which can allow some oil by on particularly high G left hand turns, where it can splash oil out of the valve cover venting, so taking that as a clue with this also being an ap2, I find it unlikely thats the case with this car, unless the owner just got back from the track after some hot laps and met with you to investigate/take pics.

Given all this, thats why I said what I said. The engine is toast. Its the rings. If you disconnected the hose that runs from the front breather to the intake tube and ran the engine revving it up, you would see oil vapor emitting from the front breather port. That's bad.
A clogged pcv will blow out seals and send oil everywhere. Also it's a DBW ap2 OP is checking out.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
A clogged pcv will blow out seals and send oil everywhere. Also it's a DBW ap2 OP is checking out.
I disagree a plugged PCV would cause this amount of oil to be pushed out of the front breather but admittedly I've never tested the theory, is there weeping seals on this car to support this? Particularly the crank seal? Which would be the first failure point. Have you ever heard of a plugged PCV on this engine, especially on this new of a car with modern clean running oil? This isn't a 1972 Chevelle we are talking about. I'm not convinced this is a good motor worth anyone's time.

I referenced it being a DBW/ap2 in post above and when stating possible fried exhaust valves and rings. But what was your point out of curiosity in pointing that out? Does that make it an exception to a related problem somehow to some other year of s2k?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-13-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree a plugged PCV would cause this amount of oil to be pushed out of the front breather but admittedly I've never tested the theory, is there weeping seals on this car to support this? Particularly the crank seal? Which would be the first failure point.
There were no other weeping seals. The blowby was the only indication of a leak.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
There were no other weeping seals. The blowby was the only indication of a leak.
That's what I thought.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:24 AM

Did you look at the transmission/oil pan? If the rings are allowing excessive blowby, and the crankcase pressure is enough to push oil out the intake, it has probably caused leaking in other places.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:29 AM

I disagree a plugged PCV would cause this amount of oil to be pushed out of the front breather but admittedly I've never tested the theory, is there weeping seals on this car to support this? Particularly the crank seal? Which would be the first failure point. Have you ever heard of a plugged PCV on this engine, especially on this new of a car with modern clean running oil? This isn't a 1972 Chevelle we are talking about. I'm not convinced this is a good motor worth anyone's time.

I referenced it being a DBW/ap2 in post above and when stating possible fried exhaust valves and rings. But what was your point out of curiosity in pointing that out? Does that make it an exception to a related problem somehow to some other year of s2k?
Rear main seal is the 1st faliure point for excessive crankcase pressure.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Rear main seal is the 1st faliure point for excessive crankcase pressure.
A contaminated/slipping clutch from oil wasn't one of the symptoms reported. That would be consistent with a blown rear seal.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-14-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Urgent - need advice