S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! How far can I go on a noisy diff?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! How far can I go on a noisy diff?

Just like the title says, I need to know how far I can go on a noisy diff.

I was driving earlier tonight, and my diff was clicking as I came to every stopsign. Also, when in gear, the diff and tranny whine a lot!! For example, 6th gear, 55 MPH, and the whine is loud enough to overcome the radio at a decent volume. Not blaring, but loud music, and I still hear this whine if I accelerate. Also, the diff almost seems like its "howling"

The dealership I usually go to is about 3 miles away, but I have had so many problems with them lately, I want to go to another dealership that is exactly 21.7 miles from my garage. Do you think I can make it there? Its all highway driving. Only about 3-5 miles total on the side roads.

Please help,
John

PS: This is going to be my second diff in 33,000 miles, and the clutch was replaced with all OEM parts (pp, flywheel, disk, and T/O bearing) about 8,000 miles ago. Someone said the whining from the tranny is most likely the T/O bearing, and possibly a bad flywheel.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way to tell with certainty when something like that will let go. If you believe in Murphy's law, it will be when you're about half way to the new dealership.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 PM

Here's a helpful response to you: have it towed to the dealership. Most insurance policies pay for the towing fees.

How long can it go in that condition? No sure way to know! But why even risk it. Have it towed!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:01 AM

i would say if you want to know the source of the problem, put the rear of the car on jackstands, and then engage 1st gear and let the back wheels spin. crawl under the car (be careful!) and listen for the sound. is it coming from the diff or the transmission?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:53 AM

I kind of did that...jacked it up, and spun the wheel by hand.....definitely from the diff! Clutch is making noise too though, thats the problem....I cant figure out exactly which one it is, or else its both! Im so pissed right now, words cant describe it.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:54 AM

if its the diff, it probably won't make the drive, i bet a bearing is going out in it. let the dealer fix it under warranty
Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another reason to have it towed:

It's probably easier and faster to diagnose and fix the problem before the diff genades on you. So if it is a defective bearing, it will be readily apparent and it will also be more difficult for Honda to blame the driver for abusing the car (if it's under warranty). If the car is not under warranty, it's a helluva lot cheaper if the diff is intact.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:12 PM

If you've already driven quite a few miles with the noisy diff (to get it home), you'll probably make it to the dealership 20 miles away. Just don't go too fast, don't accelerate too hard; just pussyfoot your way there. It sounds like one of your pinion bearings are shot, causing your pinion backlash to go to shit. The noise you're hearing is the clash/rubbing of your ring gear on your pinion gear.

If your pinion bearing totally gives out on you, the pinion teeth will jump those on the ring gear and then you'll be ed. So, don't stop at Grandma's, don't drop off that late DVD rental at Blockbuster.

That would explain the humming, but a blown rear end doesn't really click and hum at the same time.

The clicking may be a bad hub spring on your clutch disc.

BUT, you say the clutch was making a noise when you jacked it up? Was the engine off?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:51 PM

no...the diff was making noise...when I come to a stop the diff clicks.....the clutch buzzes if I release it, then stopps if I engage it (all while at idle)

The tranny humms/whines when at speed in gear, and the diff clicks when decelerating, even in neutral. Plus second gear locks me out sometimes.

I got it to the dealership, and they agree on those three problems, but are having a hard time duplicating the second gear lockout. Luckily i took the service writer for a ride, and he saw the lock out for himself, so he knows its there.

He called me and said they will know by tomorrow exactly what is wrong and what will be replaced. Got a handy dandy Lance ES for a loaner car....what a slow car!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM

sounds like nothing more than your throw out bearing or something causing the throw out bearing to go bad

the buzzing is from the throw out bearing rubbing on the pressure plate, causing it to spin when its not supposed to (clutch released)

it'll humm when in gear and get louder at speed (higher rpm) because your engine is spinning the input shaft faster

the clicking is not from the diff but from POSSIBLY your pilot bearing. a bad pilot bearing would cause the input shaft to be misaligned to the output shaft, thus causing your throw out bearing to be misaligned. it's a needle bearing (i think) so that may be the clicking

this is all just from reading what you say... don't take my word for it. i need to hear/feel/see it in person to be sure... i'm pretty sure, though.

i just know it does NOT sound like a differential problem.