S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

URGENT Advice: Motor mount missing bolt

Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default URGENT Advice: Motor mount missing bolt

I converted my AP2 to brand new OEM motor mounts from Megan Racing/Hardrace solid rubber ones. Purpose was to reduce the vibration and noise. The problem was that whomever installed them previously stripped or cross threaded one of the bolts. I was able to finally remove it after an hour and got the OEM mount on and secured the remaining three bolts.

The hole, going into the block, on the drives side frontal location is now without a bolt as the hole was damaged and in an area I could not get to without removing the engine or intake manifold. Can I drive the car like this? Should I be concerned enough to take it in to have it professionally fixed?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm short 1 bolt on the passenger side, head broke off. I just watch the other carefully. You could remove the others and drill and safety wire them if you felt the need.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I very rarely track the car (maybe 3-4 times year). I just don't want any major issues driving around on roads. =)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would definitely fix it. You don't want to rip the mount out of the block since you took away a huge amount of bolting strength and clamp load.

You could just helicoil it yourself if you can get access. Just make sure to drill perpendicular (or more accurately, normal) to the mount to block surface. They're not that hard to install, and the "import" kits are good enough quality for fixing a busted hole on your block.

That's what a shop would do, and it'll be factory when done.