S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Upgrading to stainless steel brake lines...

Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to stainless steel brake lines...

I am thinking about upgrading to Comptech stainless steel brake lines, does this change the feel of the brake pedal at all?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 AM

not really
Old 08-30-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by darkfx,Aug 30 2006, 02:39 PM
not really
I guess the questions is this:

I drove a brand new Porsche Boxter S over the weekend. While driving it I noticed that virtually any pressure on the brake pedal slowed down the car, where as on my MY04 there is a bit of play in the pedal before the brakes grab. I would describe the feeling Boxter feeling as "grabby." Will stainless steel brake lines create less play in the pedal?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time you'll feel a difference is when you've exceeded the rubber (are they rubber?) lines's limits.

Everyone thinks the stock lines are super elastic soft bubble gum material. They're not. They're actually pretty stiff.

You want to get ss lines when the pressure is exceeding and fatigueing the stock lines (aka track duty).

I'm not saying your not going to feel a difference, but it's not going to be the difference for which your seeking as in the Porsche.

Perhaps a bigger master would help accelerate the pressure and give you that feel.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Porsche Boxster S has big ass Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear. that's the "grab" you were feeling. lol
Old 08-30-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RadioZero,Aug 30 2006, 03:30 PM
Porsche Boxster S has big ass Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear. that's the "grab" you were feeling. lol
Haha, I am sure that was part of it! I guess what I am really interested in is taking any play out of the brake pedal. On the Porshe, if you tap your foot on the pedal, you won't just flash your brake lights; rather, the car will decelerate immediately. On the S2000, tapping your foot on the brake pedal will flash your brake lights, while it pushing it harder will engage the brakes.

It's as if the Porsche brake pedal is far more linear than that of the S.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Aug 30 2006, 03:09 PM
The only time you'll feel a difference is when you've exceeded the rubber (are they rubber?) lines's limits.

Everyone thinks the stock lines are super elastic soft bubble gum material. They're not. They're actually pretty stiff.

You want to get ss lines when the pressure is exceeding and fatigueing the stock lines (aka track duty).

I'm not saying your not going to feel a difference, but it's not going to be the difference for which your seeking as in the Porsche.

Perhaps a bigger master would help accelerate the pressure and give you that feel.
What do you mean by bigger master? Sorry I am sort of newb - the S was the first car that I have owned that I cared enough about to actually learn how everything works!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:43 PM

I can say for me at least steel brake hoses do make a difference in the feel (aka feedback). I do them on everything I own, could be mostly psychological but at the track It gave me more confidence in the brakes, even before I did pads. Pads make a much bigger difference in the bite I believe.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,Aug 30 2006, 01:00 PM
Haha, I am sure that was part of it! I guess what I am really interested in is taking any play out of the brake pedal.
Did you try bleeding your brakes?

Also, the choice of pad compounds have a lot to do with how linear the brakes feel.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:17 AM

it's prolly more like brake pedal consistancy. when things get hot the rubber in the lines will likely be more willing to move. the initial feel won't be "improved" by much over a full bleed and new fluid. but if you run hard and heat things up... it'll stay good. it's more of peace of mind item, particularly if you race.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to stainless steel brake lines...