S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which upgraded rotors with stock callipers?

Old 04-29-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which upgraded rotors with stock callipers?

I want to upgrade the stock rotors (mainly for looks) with slotted rotors or cross drilled rotors. I plan on keeping the stock callipers and just painting them. So, my questions are:

1) I hear slotted are better than cross drilled because the cross drilled will crack. Is one better than the other?

2) Which upgraded rotor works best with our stock callipers?

3) Which brake pads will work?

4) Should I consider anything else (like new brake lines, brake fluid, etc.)?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:46 AM

I ordered power slot slotted rotors, with hawk pads....couldnt be more pleased! The pads were on back order, but i just got them, and when everything is on the car, i will post some pics! I wouldnt get drilled because of cracking, just like you said. The only other thing might be fluid, but im not replacing mine because i only have 20K on the car......no need to flush the brakes yet. Only flush if you have higher mileage, or are replacing the calipers!

PowerSlots are basically OEM replacements, slotted, and cadmium plated against rust......
Old 04-29-2003, 08:51 AM

I have spugen's drilled and slotted. I wouldn't worry about cracks unless you track the car. I have had them on almost two months and 2000 miles. They look great and no more rusty rotor syndrome!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:58 AM

It depends on what you do with your car. Slotted rotors are good for road racing. Cross-drilled rotors are good for general use or drag racing because they cool down considerably faster than stock rotors. If you are wanting cross-drilled I would good with the brembo stock replacement rotors they are cross-drilled and cadium plated. I would also recommend Hawk brake pads.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you choose X drilled rotors you should take notice on how close is the hole to the border of the disc, if they are very close you may break the rotor after long sesions of hard braking, the holes of the rotors are important also, they must be in "two sizes" small inside the rotors and bigger in the surface of the rotors like a funnel. this are done like this to improve the cooling of the rotor

Sorry if I did not explain very well but I ma trying to improve my English

-Juan
Old 04-30-2003, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm going to check out Spugen drilled/slotted rotors.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:05 AM

Cross drilling holes is more for looks as well as lightening the rotor, doesn't have to much to do with "cooling" the rotor. It lowers the upsprung wieght of that corner of the car.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:22 AM

it also does cool the rotor...lets heat escape more freely than slots........i personally thinnnk slots are enough for heavy street, light track use!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Johnny--2K
it also does cool the rotor...lets heat escape more freely than slots........i personally thinnnk slots are enough for heavy street, light track use!

Not to much cooling; not enough to make a difference anyway, the slots let the gas escape and more importantly "scrap" the pads and keep them clean. I have x-drilled and slotted rotors the only reason I added the holes was for the look. If your tracking your car you should use a soild rotor, and if your auto-xing you can use the slotted type. X-drilled is for looks and weight reduction.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:29 PM

good point....i stand corrected!

Quick Reply: Which upgraded rotors with stock callipers?