S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UPDATED: Whine Noise Coming from Rear of Car

Old 05-14-2007, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATED: Whine Noise Coming from Rear of Car

ANOTHER UPDATE: Got a call from the dealership Thursday. They told me it is actually the output bearing on the transmission.
=======
UPDATE: Got a diagnosis from the dealership today. They told me it is a bad pinion bearing and seal. They are not 100% sure (won't be until they tear down the diff tomorrow morning). They were sure enough to overnight in parts to repair it tho, so that seems pretty sure.
=======
MORE INFO: I was talking to a friend of mine at work (who is pretty knowledgeable) and I was trying to explain the noise. He asked if it sounds sorta like a supercharger, and it does. He said that would indicate the rear end being bad.

Does this sound like it could be that to anyone?
=======
First off, this isn't the clutch buzz. I had that before getting my clutch replaced so I'm sure it sounds different.

I am getting a buzzing (mechanical) noise coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like it is the passenger's side rear of the car.

It is speed dependent (but I don't hear the sound until about 25mph when pulling away from a stop, but I hear it all the way down to 0mph when slowing down).

It does not go away when I press the brakes.

I does not vary with engine speed and is not effected by whether or not the car is in gear.

The brake pads are Porterfield R4S pads w/ about 8000 street miles (no tracking) and the rotors (I believe) are the originals (so about 65k).

I had a look at the rear passenger side rotor and there are a few score marks running in the "in and out" direction (moving in the direction from the center of the rotor out to the edge, as opposed to around the rotor). The scores seem to match the size and shape of the pad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:42 AM

quite coincidentally, IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! i had this sound before i had my 4.77s installed...

someone, pls help us! what could this be? anyone?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 AM

How many miles do you have? I am thinking (hoping) I need new brake rotors or new pads.

I have a honda certified warranty, but I dont want to be without my car, and I hate paying $96 to get something diagnosed only to find out that it is something stupid and/or not covered.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Can you describe the buzz a little better?

Is it BZZZZZZZZZZZ or TICK TICK TICK or SQUEAK SQUEAK? Do you have any shuddering? does it feel like the tires are out of balance ie vibration?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 9KADDCT,May 14 2007, 08:42 AM
quite coincidentally, IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! i had this sound before i had my 4.77s installed...

someone, pls help us! what could this be? anyone?
At least you know its not the diff
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Yeah, I guess it isn't the diff.

It may be a squeak, but if it is, it is a higher frequency (not in pitch, but in terms of how often the sound repeats) to the point where it sounds like a whine.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 PM

first of all... those pads suck! I had them on my car for about two weeks and threw them away. I tracked with them, and they fell apart.

If I were you id start there. You need to get those damn things off your car anyway, and pads dont cost that much. while your in there lub up your rear calipers...

also, after driving for a while is that particular wheel (where the noise is coming form) alot hotter than the other wheels?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by S2KinVA,May 14 2007, 01:44 PM
Can you describe the buzz a little better?

Is it BZZZZZZZZZZZ or TICK TICK TICK or SQUEAK SQUEAK? Do you have any shuddering? does it feel like the tires are out of balance ie vibration?
it's more of a bzzzzzz .. i hope we can figure this out soon... or at least i hope billman can when i go to him..
Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by dmw16,May 14 2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I guess it isn't the diff.

It may be a squeak, but if it is, it is a higher frequency (not in pitch, but in terms of how often the sound repeats) to the point where it sounds like a whine.
i think it's more of a whine than a squeek... it kinda sounds like a supercharger, but a more watered down version type of whine..
Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 PM

fuel pump? aftermarket? they are whiney.

Quick Reply: UPDATED: Whine Noise Coming from Rear of Car