S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UPDATED: Dealer voiding my claim because of the "GAS" i use

Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll do more research on this specifically, but typically what shows up first in a Google search is not going to be the end all and denying warranties this cut and dry about 5% more ethanol is highly unlikely to actually stick.

Can you post pictures of this degradation YOU are seeing? I run LOTS of ethanol. Tune LOTS of E85 cars. I have yet to see any issues with it.

I think a bigger questions would be what's actually in your fuel where you are located. Chances are you're E10 had 15% ethanol in it years ago. The bigger question is whether or not the fuel control system can properly apply trims to these variations. We mix E85 with gas and have been for years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=e85+...ddress&ie=&oe=
Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

That's ridiculous. I'm a tech at Honda and I wouldn't go about doing what they want you to do with your car. Those techs need to learn proper diagnostic procedures... and yes, that manager needs to be slapped.

Definitely contact Honda America and explain the situation to them.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg W
OP, what Chevron station in South Dakota are you buying from? I didn't think there were any Chevron's in that part of the US.
North Dakota o.O where did you get that from. Im from Southern California. Ill keep you guys up to date once anything comes up.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by Zimbabwe' timestamp='1383064649' post='22851915
I've been paying $8/gal for 100 octane ethanol free gas. Since I mostly just get the car out for weekend romps, it's not that
big of a deal money wise, and the car loves it.
Are you boosted?
No, Im completely stock. i wouldnt even bother coming to the dealer if Im boosted.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by michaellongle
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1383064886' post='22851921
[quote name='Zimbabwe' timestamp='1383064649' post='22851915']
I've been paying $8/gal for 100 octane ethanol free gas. Since I mostly just get the car out for weekend romps, it's not that
big of a deal money wise, and the car loves it.
Are you boosted?
No, Im completely stock. i wouldnt even bother coming to the dealer if Im boosted.
[/quote]

Then there is absolutely no need for the 100 octane fuel.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 PM

updated. check page 1.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Do not under any circumstances use any type of top engine cleaner. It is a complete gimmick and will do more damage than good. There is nothing that needs to be cleaned and that is a fact.

Dealers make me sick.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by michaellongle
Originally Posted by Greg W' timestamp='1383066983' post='22851994
OP, what Chevron station in South Dakota are you buying from? I didn't think there were any Chevron's in that part of the US.
North Dakota o.O where did you get that from. Im from Southern California. Ill keep you guys up to date once anything comes up.
Old Post, but in case you're still reading:
Funny . . . at first I thought San Diego, but after hearing about infrequent driving, I realized "South Dakota, of course", so did not reply. Now that you've clarified SD = San Diego, I'll add my suggestions:

1) Try Hoehn Honda in Carlsbad. I've had nothing but good luck with them. They seem to know their stuff. I service both Ridgeline & S2K there since 2005. 'Had to get the Honda regional guy involved with convertible top replacement for S2K . . . that worked out VERY well for me, even though I was over 58K miles & close to 6 years if I recall.

2) DRIVE it. I've never had ANY issues with my 2005 (other than collision repair). But I do wring her out frequently. Spin up the RPM & let her scream once in a while. That "should" blow out the webs, as they are. I also live here in SoCal (Carlsbad), and I mostly use Costco premium (91 Octane). You shouldn't have to use anything but decent quality premuim fuel.

It's possible that your local station has "bad" tanks, but that's not really all that likely (they get discovered), but switch stations anyway . . . and throw in a can of octane booster for a couple of tanks if you feel like it. It won't hurt, and you CAN get cleaning action from some brands of additives . . . it's just that you shouldn't need to. If you blow her out a few times & still have the problem, talk to Hoehn & see what they have to say. Lastly you might consider this:

Go back to your 'bad' dealer and get the dealer's definition of "top end cleaning". Next get it done for much less somewhere else (documented verbatum the same as dealer described), and then when problem is still there go back to dealer & have them proceed with "next" diagnostic commentary (under warranty).

Lastly, If problem goes away after top end cleaning, you can forgive yourself for not believing the dealer, and you can go back to trusting him???? You really shouldn't be having these problems with an S2000 at this low mileage, but I've had MUCH older cars respond well to a good cleaning of top end with chemicals & "blow out". Good luck.

One last thought: You might stop by Qualcomm stadium one Sunday when SCCA is running (no entry cost) and look for the S2K gearheads; get their opinion. 'Can't hurt . . . and all of those guys are super friendly/helpful, when they're not getting ready for a run anyway.