S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Originally Posted by CoolGuy094' timestamp='1418247094' post='23433192
Woah... WTF happened to that slave rod ball end?

How did the release fork feel when you had the slave cylinder off? Did it still pivot OK? Could you pull it out of its mount and snap it back in OK?

Does the black rubber boot that covers the entire rod ball end and release fork look OK, any damage to it?
I can't tell you how many times I looked at that picture trying to figure the same thing out. I can't come up with an explanation, so I haven't posted in the thread. Only thing I can think is someone else has been in there and did something to the mating surface on the fork?

Either that or at some point pressure was lost so much that it popped out and was on the edge of the tranny case and someone kept pushing the clutch pedal?
You know, the black boot that covers the clutch release fork is damaged. When I pulled the old slave cylinder it was DRY, no grease at all. When I get the master cylinder in, Ill check on the release fork to see if I can find any damage or any movement. Im not too familiar with all of the parts that are associated with the transmission or clutch assembly or what they are called. I can do simple stuff like installing intake, exhaust, slave, master, etc. Anything major like taking the engine out or a transmission or diff, I doubt I could do that. When I install the new master cylinder, Ill let y'all know if that fixes the problem Im having. I hate to think negatively but I doubt it fix my tranny issue. If that doesn't fix the problem I guess I'm gonna have to take my car to Honda, so they can tell me what is going on. But yea, that crazy slash on my slave got me worried, it can't be good.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out this link, shows the parts to the clutch release: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...CLUTCH+RELEASE

The fork (4) is clipped into the hanger/spring assembly (5/6). You should be able to pull on the end of the fork that sticks out of the trans case and it will un-clip from the hanger. Then push it back towards the trans case and it should click back into place in the hanger. When clipped in place on the hanger, it should have a small amount of pivot freedom back and forth, but not much movement otherwise. These checks should prove that the hanger and clip assembly is undamaged.

The fork's purpose is to pivot back and forth on the hanger assembly and cause the release bearing (3) to move back and forth on the release bearing guide (1). This is what releases the clutch when you push in the pedal. If the release bearing and/or guide is damaged it will affect your ability to shift. Problem is you can't see s**t through the tiny opening that the release fork goes through.

SOMETHING caused the damage to the slave rod ball. You saying there is damage to the boot (7) indicates something from the outside, like road debris, could have smacked the boot and caused the slave rod to jump out of the fork cup like bgoetz was speculating. The slave being dry of grease isn't too surprising, the older the car is the more grease will have dried up. And that will affect pedal feel and performance, but it wouldn't cause that gash.

Only other thing I can think of is that something from INSIDE the trans case caused the damage... like one of the spring fingers from the pressure plate broke off, caused initial havoc, then exited via the little window that the fork goes through and caused damage to the slave rod and boot. Or maybe your car has the Exedy clutch disc on it and one of the metal tabs that holds the springs in broke off like it has in so many other cases.

Honestly, if you can do intake/exhaust/master/slave installs, you reasonably could do the transmission. You need basic tools that you'd use for those other installs, four jack stands, and the ability to take your time (i.e. no need to drive the car for a few days). I was nervous when I did my first clutch swap as well, but you learn as you go, take it one step at a time, organize and label everything you take off, don't rush anything, and it will go OK. Its nice to have a friend around to help you out and learn with you too.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah I think that gash is an indicator of the issue, I would figure out how that happened and I think you will find your problem.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

And don't go to the dealer. They will overcharge and won't do same quality of work as decent independent shop.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Hey guys. Ive got a video if yall are interested to check it out. My new master is coming in this Tuesday. Im probably gonna go ahead and let a local mechanic take the tranny off and fix my car. Probably gonna do clutch too since the tranny will be off. Btw is Exedy OEM clutch replacement kit a good one? The only mods my car has is intake, tp, and exhaust.
http://s785.photobucket.com/user/200...r.mp4.html?o=0 The video should be on my photobucket. You should hear a wierd noise i was describing coming somewhere from the tranny area.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Noooooo! Use only oem clutch parts from Honda.

Did you not read a few posts up the speculation that your whole problem is maybe someone put Exedy clutch in before and its falling apart on you?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Noooooo! Use only oem clutch parts from Honda.

Did you not read a few posts up the speculation that your whole problem is maybe someone put Exedy clutch in before and its falling apart on you?
Oh...makes sense I guess. I might've skipped that part. OEM it is. I was asking because it seemed like a lot of people were giving good reviews about Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend AGAINST the Exedy clutch kit. S2Ki has seen their share of Exedy friction discs AND pressure plates break.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Ive been searching and searching on how to remove the transmission off of my S2000. For the most part it doesn't look too bad, but since I've never done it, Im wondering if I should attempt. It would be nice to have a friend who has done it to guide me. What do y'all think, should I attempt removing the tranny on my own? Im tried of not having a car.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2002AP1S2k
Ive been searching and searching on how to remove the transmission off of my S2000. For the most part it doesn't look too bad, but since I've never done it, Im wondering if I should attempt. It would be nice to have a friend who has done it to guide me. What do y'all think, should I attempt removing the tranny on my own? Im tried of not having a car.
I agree that it would be best if you had someone experienced on site to consult with, even if it is just to give you the confidence that you will get it done right. I have a friend that is mechanically capable; but, he absolutely will not read and follow a manual. He insists on winging it, and gets in over his head most every time because he never thinks the process through or thinks how something was put together.

Having said that, here is the service manual, see section 13-5: S2000 service manual
and here is a thread with some good posts about doing the job: Clutch Replacement

Quick Reply: UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!