S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Unsustainable high revs - Built in rev limiter?

Old 02-17-2004, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsustainable high revs - Built in rev limiter?

I am a new S2K owner. I bought a used 2000 model with 10,000 miles. Currently I have the car in storage. I start up the car every few days. Prior to storage I had the oil changed, filled the tank and added sta-bil.

Here's my problem. I let the engine warm, so that the temp light has 4 bars and is in the middle. The engine revs fine. But if I hold the revs at 8K for more than 5-10 seconds, the revs start to see-saw back down all the way to 2-3K, and then I can rev back up no problem. If I give it full throttle while the the engine is see-sawing back down there is a large sucking sound (air intake?) sound from the engine.

So far the car has run fine with no problems. I'm wondering if this is a built in engine feature that prevents sustained high revs while not in gear, or if this is engine trouble. It could possibly be a result of bad gas (last refill was 3 months ago). Any adivice, similar experience?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, if you're seeing 4 bars, something is wrong...3 is all it should make it to in all but the most spirited of driving in the most extreme temps.

Second, what on EARTH are you doing revving an engine under no load for 5-10 seconds?!?!?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:08 AM

Not 100% sure of the bars, most likely 3 bars. Don't think engine temp is an issue.

Don't typically hold at rev for extended time. What is the ramifications of doing so with no load?
Old 02-17-2004, 02:27 PM

Generally, high rpm with no load is a bad thing. Very small piston slap. It's not enough to do any noticeable damage over the entire life of the engine, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

But, if you hold the rpm at 8k for 5-10 seconds to warm it up on cold starts...

It warms up just as quickly even when idling. That, and your motor isn't trying to self-destruct.

But as far as the see-sawing... The PCM cuts the fuel everytime you redline and during decel, to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy. On cold starts, the engine is in open loop and you're running full rich with no spark advance. This means the PGM-FI/IG has no control (per se) over your AFR or timing. It's possible the PCM is just having a brain fart as it tries to figure out why you feel the need to rev it so high when out of gear and when cold.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:31 PM

If the car is in storage, good grief, please leave it that way. Starting it up every couple days and just letting it sit there idling (or worse, revving it to 8k [what the hell are you thinking]) is perhaps one of the worst things you can do to an engine.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

That's called a No-load Rev limiter. It's to prevent you from doing just that. Be nice to your poor car and stop it.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:45 PM

So I guess I shouldn't be bouncing off the rev limiter when I'm waiting at traffic lights? I mean, I don't want to stall.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If you must warm your car, drive it lightly until it's at operating temperature...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If I were an S2000, I would be really glad to be NOT owned by you. I'm a tough little car but I certainly don't like the way you would treat me. If you are going to put me to bed for the winter, let me sleep and stop waking me up every few days just to shut me off a little while later. And before I'm fully awake you beat the crap out of me and then tell me to go to sleep again. Just pump up my tires, put a "smart" charger on me and don't bother me till spring.
I feel so sorry for your car. He ain't heavy, he's my brother!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please tell me this is all just a bad dream?

First... search for some threads that talk about how to properly store your car. They'll all say that you shouldn't go start the thing until you're ready to take it out of storage.

Second... what the hell are you thinking? Revving the car to 8K RPM while sitting still? Is there a purpose to that? Geez, that makes my brain hurt just trying to comprehend what (lack of) thought process you must be going through.

Tell me something... did you pay for this car? Because you surely aren't treating it like you give a crap about it.

Just put the keys on the table and back away... slowly.

Quick Reply: Unsustainable high revs - Built in rev limiter?