S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Under The Hood Squeak!

Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under The Hood Squeak!

Hi,

I have found a squeak which I could hear in the cockpit any time that I driver over bumpy roads. I cleaned the hood latch and sprayed it with WD-40 but it only solves the problem temporarily and the squeak returns. In the meantime, I have purchased some black grease but I do not know where to place this any ideas where to place the grease so that this squeak does not continually return?

It is driving me crazy!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

WD-40 is not a true lubricant. It's a cleaner. By using it, you probably clean off what lubricant there was on the latch assembly. For such applications, you need to get "white lithium grease". Spray it on the part of the latch that catches the hook on the hood and any other moving parts in the latch.
You probably need to also adjust the hood stop bumpers.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIGQ4U,
I had a very similar problem with my MY 04. Mine ended up being related the hinges that hold up the hood at the windshield base. I finally diagnosed iti by propping the hood, then wiggling it in propped position. It turns out I could hear the squeeking. To remedy I tighened the bolts holding the hinges in place and the squeeks were forever gone. Try it and see if it helps.

Regards,
Christopher
Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 AM

I removed the 3 bolts altogether and reinstalled, the squeaking returned. I am just going to purchase one of those grease guns and grease that whole friggin latch.

Actually for now, the squeak is gone and has not returned for a day I lubed it again with a different product although if it does return I will utilize the grease gun method.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U,May 16 2006, 11:33 AM
I am just going to purchase one of those grease guns and grease that whole friggin latch.
Grease that comes out of a gun is NOT for that purpose, but if that's what you want to do, it's your car. I already commented up above what you should be using.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM

i just adjusted the latch...it wasn't holding the hood far enough down. By removing the play, you will remove the squeak. Of course lithium grease isn't a bad thing.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks Xviper, but like I said, I have already purchased black all purpose grease. To apply the black grease I need something like a large syringe (which I am having trouble finding) or a grease gun.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U,May 16 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks, but like I said, I have already purchased black all purpose grease. To apply the black grease I need something like a large syringe (which I am having trouble finding) or a grease gun.
I agree with Xviper.... Lithium Grease is much better suited for what you want to use it on.....
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 AM

Where do you purchase the white lithium grease? How is it applied? What is so great about this White Lithium grease anyway?

Reminds me though Incubus the rattling didn't begin until I raised my hood latch. I raised it because I could not drop the hood shut. I had to drop the hoop and then press it closed. I can't seem to find the sweet spot.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U,May 16 2006, 12:11 PM
Where do you purchase the white lithium grease? How is it applied? What is so great about this White Lithium grease anyway?
Each application needs a specific product. White lithium grease comes in a spray can with a straw for a nozzle. It sprays on thin and then swells up. It's meant for latches, strikers and hinges. Once it swells up, it stays put and won't fall out. Basic grease like what you have is meant for an enclosed vessel like a grease boot or the old fashioned axle bearing. Grease is not just "grease". If you don't understand this concept, you will probably take the same philosophy towards other automotive products. One day, it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Quick Reply: Under The Hood Squeak!