S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

under the hood

Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ksoccer,Mar 15 2006, 10:26 PM
bump
I take it you are looking for advice, and being told that you need the CEL code doesn't help at all. If the CEL was flashing before you reset it, then you might have some serious problems, and the car should be trailered to a dealer or competent repair shop. If the CEL was not flashing before you reset it, then it is anybody's guess. I would *guess* that if it is a serious problem the car will throw the CEL again in a few driving cycles (but I can't tell you for sure that a few driving cycles won't cause further damage, because you reset the codes we need to know what's going on).

Next time you get a CEL, DO NOT reset it until you have read the code (and unless you can absolutely trust your memory, write it down).

This time it's too late, and I'm not sure what you should do. If I were in your shoes, I'd PM Billman, tell him I'd screwed up and reset the code without reading it, and see what he suggested. He may give you some crap about resetting the code too, but he's the person I'd turn to if I got myself into this kind of mess.

That is the best and only advice I can provide, and I seriously doubt that you'll get any sounder advice.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, if you pick people at random and ask them what a CEL is, how many can answer? This guy knew enough to get himself into trouble, and that's more than most people know. Haven't we all been in situations where we knew just enough to get ourselves in trouble?

This was the result of incomplete knowledge. Who among us can say that our knowledge is complete? I have to believe that the only people who never make this kind of mistake are people who never do anything new. Mistakes are only stupid if we know better.

This guy screwed up, and now he wants to know what to do. Telling him he screwed up doesn't help. He needs advice on how to best proceed, now that he's made a mess of things. Rather than just reading what posts say, try to understand what the poster needs, and try to remember that some perfectly normal and intelligent people know jack about automobiles.

LOL, or don't. I have to admit that the exchanges are often entertaining.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, he obviously knew enough about cel's to know you don't want one. That's why he cleared it. And if he knew how to clear the cel, then he should have known to get the car checked out.

I will admit he's not nearly as bad as the guy who kept clearing his CEL so he could take the car into "vtec"

Now, if he came in and asked "What is a cel" I'm sure people would still have given him a hard time, but it would have been much more light hearted and he would have gotten an answer.

I think people get upset with this stuff because we really want to be able to help the guy out, but through his own actions there's nothing we can do. And its entirely possible that more damage has occurred since because he cleared the code and kept on driving.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't let your friend "tinker" around in your car because he "thinks" he knows what the problem is.

we needed the code, and you went and reset it and deleted it for God knows what reason.

THE CEL LIGHT COMES ON FOR A REASON. DO NOT RESET YOUR ECU AND EXPECT IT TO MAGICALLY GO AWAY, AND THEN COME ASK US WHAT'S WRONG.

come back once you know the code, and if you come back to post a thread about how your friend thought he could fix it and now something else is wrong, then don't bother.