S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Unable to start car after fillup?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k24accord,Jan 22 2010, 07:15 AM
i had a similar issue with my old accord, after some investigating it turned out that a robber grommet on the fuel line end that connects to the fuel pump somehow tore and would leak back into the tank.

the symptoms were exactly the same as yours. just wanted to throw that out there as another thing to explore. good luck!
thanks interesting, i am running a walbro fuel pump.. il try to investigate.

One thing I noticed is that my PLX wideband 02 sensor reads massively rich when I intially startup the car after the fillup. Reads all the way down to 10:1 and then stabilizes to 14.7:1 after a couple minutes of regular driving...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Could anyone else offer additional input on this issue (for n/a guys)... im having the exact same problem and was hoping the original poster could chime back in with a possible fix...

Thanks in advance...!!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM

1st-gen mpfi hondas had a similar issue of restarting when the engine was hot. the culprit was fuel pressure loss related to a failing/failed fuel pump relay.

any of you guys have a fuel pressure gauge? my initial inclination is that when you're experiencing this problem you have no pressure.

for the time being try this:

1) turn the key all the way to the on position
2) *WAIT 10 SECONDS*
3) crank car as normal.

let us know if that works, as it was somewhat effective in the old-school hondas...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

^^ yeah, that primes the fuel pump....had to do it in my old Civic as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM

you know what this sounds like is the classic main fuel relay needing some fresh solder on it, this is really common with older hondas. normally you dont see it till well over 100K or in a hotter climate.

im not even 100% sure our cars have this but it sound exactly like what i had in my prelude and your symptoms are the most classic ive seen in a long time.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

sounds like your EVAP system. I had the same issues with my EMS based car. Basically my understanding of it was that when the gas tank was getting filled, it was pushing all the gas vapor into the EVAP system, which was then uncontrollably sending the vapors into the intake plenum, causing a super rich condition, making it hard to start the car due to the changed A/F ratio. As my car lacks any emissions system, i just removed the EVAP line from the intake plenum to the firewall. This stopped all start issues when refilling with gas.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Appreciate the info guys and i will try the "priming the fuel pump trick".

Soul Coughing: your definitely right as my car is throwing a p1457 code (evap canister system leak) and my car has fouled plugs which leads me to believe im running rich, now what exactly do you mean "your car lacks any emissions system" did you do a complete emissions delete or just remove the evap line from the intake plenum to the firewall...?

If i were to only remove the evap line from the intake plenum to the firewall would that hurt anything or cause other issues and do you by chance have any pictures of this evap line...?

Is it pictured here somewhere...?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bbs2k_21,Apr 23 2010, 10:56 AM
my car is throwing a p1457 code
failure to provide all pertinent information.....
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

not my original thread buddy
Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 PM

I had the same problem on my 99 civic b16 turbo and I solve it ! Its realy an EVAP issue because I boosted on it , and on tank ! what i do is unplug the EVAP from the plenum intake and disconnect the wirring on them. Try to unplung all the system (take about 5 minutes ) make sure you don't let the vacum line leek, plug small vacum line (about 2 inch) and insert a bolt in . If you don't do that your car will run realy bad because of that leek.Then go to gaz station and full your car , im pretty sure it will start imediatly, as mine.
Sorry for my english because i usualy speak french

Quick Reply: Unable to start car after fillup?