S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Unable to start car after fillup?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchi5,Nov 20 2009, 08:50 PM
thanks guys for all the input. I have started the car in cold weather (i live in suburbs of chicago lol) and it always starts on first try...just as long as I did not just get gas.

to Not Sure, that is a interesting idea...i'll try to remove the gas cap and put it back without getting gas.

BPASPI, is a EVAP valve that is malfunctioning harmful to the engine/car, or just an annoyance?
No, EVAP ist just only for emission.
But try the gas cap test first to see if it's related to EVAP.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM

sounds like n80 valve .. caused from over filling ur gas tank.. prob ur charcol canister and ur n80 valve
Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or if its when your car is hot. try turning it off when it is hot. then start if back up again. do it every once and a while. well if it has problems starting it may very well be your ect sensor. thats the sensor that sits on the side of the block that measures your coolant temp.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:37 AM

again lots of good ideas. I tried removing the gas cap. car started up quickly without any issues.

i'll try to start the car up when it's been hot and see...thanks for all the input so far
Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 AM

Sounds like EVAP issue to me. Check the hose and the canister underneath your car by the driver side rear axle. It's got a metal guard into it that is secured on cross bar. If there's NO obvious signs of leaks or cracks, then your best bet is to get it diagnose, to narrow down the problem in your EVAP system.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 AM

LOL, whenever I get gas, people stare when i'm revving the engine to get the engine to start. They probably think I am trying to show off and get attention. I have an AEM cold air intake and the HKS exhaust, so it isn't exactly quiet.

of course it gets kinda embarrasing because I am not trying to get that type of attention.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 PM

I just stumbled upon this I have a MY2000 with the exact same problem! I only have trouble starting when I go to the gas station after a fillup. I have tried to see if it has something to do with fuel tank pressure, so I remove the cap and put it back and restarted it and had no problems. I have no probelms starting in the hot or cold too, its starts like a charm every time--just during fillup.

Great suggestions here, how do I check these? "sounds like n80 valve .. caused from over filling ur gas tank.. prob ur charcol canister and ur n80 valve"

thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also see you have an FI badge. What setup and engine management system are you using? Because if you have an AEM, it could be that...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 AM

i had a similar issue with my old accord, after some investigating it turned out that a robber grommet on the fuel line end that connects to the fuel pump somehow tore and would leak back into the tank.

the symptoms were exactly the same as yours. just wanted to throw that out there as another thing to explore. good luck!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Jan 22 2010, 06:37 AM
I also see you have an FI badge. What setup and engine management system are you using? Because if you have an AEM, it could be that...
Running the Kpro, I've posted in the forums numerous times about this issue thinking it was my kpro but never heard of anyone else with the problem.
I've also been looking for AEM references to this problem and came up short. real brainteaser this one

Quick Reply: Unable to start car after fillup?