S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Unable to start car after fillup?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to start car after fillup?

Hey guys

I have a MY2000, with about 74,000 miles on it. Just bought it a month ago. It runs fine, and got a overall good inspection at a honda dealer before I bought it.

One weird thing is whenever I fill up the S, it will not start up afterwards. I always have to pump the gas pedal a few times, keep pushing on the starter button, and basically floor the gas pedal when trying to start it until it starts.

It usually takes several tries until it starts up, but afterwards, it will start up everytime the first time until I get gas again.

I spoke to a honda service guy, and he says sometimes the motor gets flooded with gas?? WTF??

anyone has any ideas of whats going on? is it dangerous to the motor, etc, or just an annoyance?

thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

This only happens when you top the tank? What if you fill the tank 3/4 full? What happens when you stop the car and start it 5 min later?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 18 2009, 07:23 AM
This only happens when you top the tank? What if you fill the tank 3/4 full? What happens when you stop the car and start it 5 min later?
good question...i thought this myself too. so yesterday i filled it up only 3/4 full, and it still wouldn't start after the fillup.

but it seemed like it took less tries to start it when I did not fill up the tank fully...weird.

once it gets running after a fill-up, it runs fine. and 5 min later and from every start-up from then, it always starts up easily on the first try...just that first startup after a fillup takes forever. more annoying than anything else
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

Out of curiousity - what happens if you open the gas tank without putting in any gas? Just unscrew the cap to relieve pressure then put it back on as a test.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVAP System?
It needs lower air pressure inside the gas tank. Could it be that the EVAP valve doesn't work so that the cranking engine needs some time to evacuate the tank again?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Building on the previous question....do this when the engine is hot AND cold. At a gas station, you'd be stopping a hot engine, then trying to re-start it vs a cold start in the AM. My old civic took a bit to start when it was warm sometimes.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM

thanks guys for all the input. I have started the car in cold weather (i live in suburbs of chicago lol) and it always starts on first try...just as long as I did not just get gas.

to Not Sure, that is a interesting idea...i'll try to remove the gas cap and put it back without getting gas.

BPASPI, is a EVAP valve that is malfunctioning harmful to the engine/car, or just an annoyance?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by XScarAudio,Nov 18 2009, 02:00 PM
Building on the previous question....do this when the engine is hot AND cold. At a gas station, you'd be stopping a hot engine, then trying to re-start it vs a cold start in the AM. My old civic took a bit to start when it was warm sometimes.
ish

I think it may be a Hot start issue and unrelated to getting gas. IE you car has issues starting if its hot. The engine not the outside temp.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM

that's what I meant...engine temp. thanks for clarifying
Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I had a similar issue on our TL. If I got the motor nice and hot. Turned it off and then attempted a restart quickly 1-2min (as if you were dropping someone off and then ready to go) the motor would just turn over and not start.

No amount of gas pumping would get it to start. I would have to remove the key, and go for a complete restart.

The car had no mechanical issues. I suspected there was some sensor acting up. Maybe part of the smart key system. As I did have an RL that didn't like the key being put in to quickly. Just a theory.

Quick Reply: Unable to start car after fillup?