S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: What Synthetic oil is the best overall for all S2000's? (Please specify weight)
Mobil 1 Regular 10w30
23.60%
Mobil 1 Other type/weight
6.21%
Castrol Edge
6.83%
Amsoil
37.89%
Royal Purple
5.59%
Redline
6.21%
Other Oil (Please specify)
13.66%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

ULTIMATE SYN OIL SHOWDOWN

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no such thing as the best oil.

The 'best' is too subjective
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 AM

using castrol edge and walmart in La. has the 5 quart bottle for $19.50! (paid $26.00 3 weeks ago). time to stock up
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Motor oils regardless of synthtic or dino are made up of "base stock" that API groups as Group I through Group V.

When "synthetics" first appeared, they were made up of polyalphaolefin (PAOs) that would fall in the API base stock "Group IV's".

Dino oils were made using petroleum derived Group I and Group II base stocks. A further refinement by "hydrocracking" of Group II base stocks, created Group III base stocks that allowed higher viscosity indexes.

Group III base stocks are cheaper than Group IV. API then classified Group III base stocks as a synthetic and shortly afterwards, Mobil 1 started to use Group III base stocks.

Many "purist" decried that Mobil 1 is no longer a "true" synthetic because they use a base stock that was derived from a former petroleum base stock. IIRC, even Castrol tried suing Mobil 1 to have them remove the "Synthetic" label and eventually lost with final irony of Castrol moving to Group III base stock for their synthetic offering.

Arguing about Group III vs. Group IV is like talking about politics, abortion and gun control. You will never get a consensus as both do the job admirably well.

To the purist, what sets apart what I called "boutique" brands like Amsoil, Royal Purple and Readline, is that they for the most part stick to the more expensive Group IV base stocks.

What separates petroleum base and synthetic oils is very little at the engineering level. Both use many of the same additive packs to their base stocks and what separates the base stocks is just different processing and hydrocracking.

At the marketing level, oil companies like people who buy synthetics as the profit margins are higher for very little more that is expended to make the same petroleum oil. Group IV and V base stocks are synthesized in a lab and are about as pure as a man-made compound can be. Group III base stocks are highly refined and pretty damn close.

In all other countries outside the USA, lubricants using group III base stocks have to be labeled "synthetic blend" or "partially synthetic". They only get away with "Fully Synthetic" here in the US because the oil companies have deep pockets for Senators that pass marketing legislation.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That is the most informative summary on synth vs. dyno I've ever read. Great post, thanks a bunch.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

has anyone read this oil test article before?

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

the article seems old and the testing was a bit limited but it's still interesting.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For anything meaningful to come from all this there would have to be Government mandated test results using a standard motor bearing or other surface that could absolutly be tested and infinitly be repeated and and a wear index applied. A standardizied median would include all oil natural and synthetic. Petrolium companies do posses this type of machinery but the question is - Is this machinery standardized between companies? Ad hype such as "the Best" would be a little more honest if it simply stated "nothing better" or "as good as anything you can buy". Interesting that the US Government doe's set standards and their standards are "meet or exceed" and then is bought based on price of the lowest bid. All major oils do meet or exceed todays requirements for engine lubrication. If your buying into the lower price tier, change your oil a little more frequently and enjoy the savings and accept the fact that you really are taking very good care of your car.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll never settle this.It's like asking which is best: Ford or Chevy,Honda or Toyota, Coke or Pepsi.

Everyone thinks the brand they use is best...no one can provide any definitive proof.

Pick a well known,widely available brand and change it on a regular basis.

I personally use Penn Plat 5-30 in all my cars.I can't prove it's the best but it works well in my cars and the way I drive & maintain them.

\rlr
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by redlineracing,Oct 9 2009, 05:56 AM
Pick a well known,widely available brand and change it on a regular basis.
agreed. The S2000 has a good lump which any decent oil will take care of. The benefit of any super-premium oil makes little difference unless pushed to the extremes of extended drain intervals or gross neglect, which few of us do.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4,Oct 6 2009, 01:59 PM
I like Mobil 1. It may not be the best but I've used it on my other cars and never had engine problems. I think if we want to find out the best type of oil, maybe ask those with 200K miles on their ODO what brand of oil they use. I'm sure all the oils listed if changed out regularly will give you a long lasting engine.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 AM

castrol synthetic here.. used it in my previous cars and its affordable (19.99 at walmart).

Quick Reply: ULTIMATE SYN OIL SHOWDOWN