S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ultimate Racing Turbo Update?

Old 06-13-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FI want to be around 12:1. Don't do 15:1 otherwise BOOM BOOM.

The problem with UR is the Greddy E-manage. No matter how much you tune, you can't tune at part throttle effectively. You'll always be running rich becuase of the larger injectors and stock ECM. E-manage can not reduce fuel, but can only add. You're stock ECU doesn't supply enough fuel at boost, however, when running closed loop (i.e. part throttle), the ECM will continously try to correct for fuel (based on stock injector calibration)

This means that you'll get much more fuel than you need and will run rich and set of DTC's. Running rich will make it run rough with lots of smoke and poor gas mileage.

Solution: AEM EMS
Old 06-13-2003, 12:05 PM

There was an S with UR customer form Canada came down here in Illinois to Garage Kwai two weeks to get his UR turbo tuned and get it running smooth. All they did was replace the E-manage with the AEM-EMS and tuned it. I was a nice set up and its running smooth as what I heard.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayN
[B]There was an S with UR customer form Canada came down here in Illinois to Garage Kwai two weeks to get his UR turbo tuned and get it running smooth.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:07 PM

All these turbo's seem to be a pain in the ass and to no avail, I've given up on turbo, back to saving for a Comptech w/aftercooler.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by S2000_Europe
Hey guys you are scaring me....

I am supposely to install the UR Turbo, next week. Since I am in Spain and this car is almost unknown, I think tunnig would be very diffucult so any help would be accepted.
Problems with detonation is diffucult due to i am runnig 98 oct fuel which gives me a bit of margin.

I have beed told that an A/F ration of 15:1 it is safe and optimal, any opinions?

I would go to the dyno by the end of June, I just need to buy the Support tool in order to tune the car

Juan
Rouruni Kenshin... Battousai nice avatar!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:10 PM

It's very difficult to make a reliable and powerful turbo kit, and keep the costs down. It's even more difficult to make a kit that you can just bolt and and it works perfect. Tuning will always be required for any decent turbo setup.
Yes very true
The 'tricky' part is the e-manage... just a polished V-AFC.
Yes its superior to the VAFC however you can get it correctly working on a turbo s2k, I have seen alot of posts stating that the only way to go is AEM. Yes AEM has its definet advantages and is superior to the emanage in every aspect except one........tuning. If you think its hard to effectively tune an emanage for a turbo app, then the AEM is like building a space craft in comparison. I am not knocking the unit, its ability to control every aspect and parameter on the motor has its definite plus. The hurdle is to effectively tell the motor what to do.

FI want to be around 12:1. Don't do 15:1 otherwise BOOM BOOM.
Exactly and on an emanage without timing control you need to run an even healthier A/F ranging from 11.5 to 12:1.

We have had excellent results with our emanage. Infact I will be personally loading in one of our maps in a UR turbo car over the weekend to see how it reacts.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:46 AM

I have the kit. And I'm the one with the crappy whp. Don't know what the hell happened. While dyno, A/F should be set around 12:1 - 12:5. Mine is set 12:7 (I think) when the weather was a good 75 degrees. With the set up UR gives you mine was at 10:5 (little too rich). Of course my CEL is on AGAIN!! and seeing that my exhaust (very once in a while) makes a poping sound it might be alittle too lean now. Also the Boost was set at 6.2psi. My settings currently have it on 6.5psi. If your thinking of FI...I'm sorri UR...but I'd go and get a SC. Also UR turbo comes with counter HKS parts. Be prepare to have the HKS wastegate flange rust really quick and really bad (I'm talkin ORANGE!!) replace it with Tial 40mm. Also on the dyno (it was dynapack by the way) I found that Max spool with Ur is around 5500 to 6000 RPM (not where you want it if your trying to solve low end torque). The turbine kicks in really late. I haven't heard much good things from a turbo set up. Right Jackie?

Tuner
Old 06-14-2003, 10:49 AM

247whp on a dyna pack?? Damn that's TERRIBLE! stock s2k's are making 220 on the dyna pack what the hell is going on here?
Old 06-14-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm first Xerd now this
Old 06-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

I think the trouble is the turbo market; i.e., the average turbo buyer seems to care only about going fast in a straight line for 10 seconds at a time. Reliability be damned, driveability be damned.

In fact, of all the turbo owners on this board, I know of only one who is attempting to realistically solve the inherent tuning problems of the turbo setup. His goal is for a car with moderate boost, say 6-8 psi, along with true daily-driveability (smooth partial-throttle response, reliability, etc.). After over a year of pain and frustration, he's finally conclued that both the E-manage and the VAFC are unsuitable for this, and he's going with the AEM EMS. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will have our first example of a turbo solution that can realistically challenge the supercharger kits when compared on any basis *other* than the quarter mile or the dyno.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Turbo Update?