S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Uh-oh, major S2000 oil leak...

Old 10-14-2001, 02:17 PM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh-oh, major S2000 oil leak...

Had a spirited drive around some back roads today, nothing crazy. When getting back on the freeway, I noticed a bunch of what looked like grey smoke behind me. I figured it was probably another car or dirty sunglasses. When I stopped soon thereafter to get lunch, checked underneath and saw the dreaded "drip drip drip" -UH OH! Drove immediately to the nearest dealer where it'll be until they open tomorrow. After sitting for about 15 minutes in the dealer's lot there was an oil puddle 10" around. Seemed to be leaking on the right side but I couldn't really tell exactly where from.

It's so strange - the car ran perfectly the whole time, temp never got too high, oil light never came on, nothing. It's got about 18k miles, had its last oil change about 1000 miles ago.

Anybody else have this happen? I'm hoping it's something minor, but I fear the worst.

I'll post again when I find out more.

Jason
Old 10-14-2001, 02:28 PM

That sucks man

the only reasonable cause of this leak must be a loose oil filter or/and drip screw (or however you name it).
Old 10-14-2001, 03:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Loose oil filter, overtorqued oil filter, or oil filter without a bypass valve..................Let us know which one it is. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Utah
Old 10-14-2001, 04:18 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Loose oil filter, overtorqued oil filter, or oil filter without a bypass valve..................Let us know which one it is. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Utah
I saw one blow first hand on my way down to S2K Days. What a cloud that made!!!
Old 10-14-2001, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Had a spirited drive around some back roads today, nothing crazy.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:40 PM
jzr

Yep, you guys were right, just a loose oil filter. Whew! I hope it was the same deal for you Reston.

Anybody in SD might want to steer clear of Cush Honda. First they spilled oil on my exhaust during an oil change, now this. I'm not going back.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-15-2001, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jzr - go back and do to them what is being done to that chicken in your signature.
Old 10-15-2001, 04:20 PM
Zot

OMG jzr, that is bringing back a bad experience I had just last week at Pacific Honda in SD. Went and got my regular oil change, everything is all hunky dory. Then like 3 days later I start smelling what I thougt was exhause fumes in the cabin.

Went to lunch one day a few days later with a friend and he was like, "Dude, your car is leaking or something cuz it smells like sheeeot in here" I guess I was just getting used to it but on the way home I noticed it getting worse. I pulled in at home, popped the hood and saw a gaping hole where the oil fill cap SHOULD have been. Man, I WAS PISSED!!!

Called the dealer on the spot screamin a lung out. They said to just have it towed in in the morning and they will take care of everything. So I did. I got VERY lucky though, didn't loose much oil at all but there was a mess under the hood. Oil and dirt everywhere. They paid to have it all cleaned and detailed.

Also had some bulletin work done while it was there. i.e. They changed the latches on the top to the same ones that hard tops use, top closes much tigher now. They also changed out the seat belt retractors, another bulletin. So for you 2000 owners out there you may want to check into both of these. It should be warranty work and not cost you anything.

Just another idiot who didnt read the How to change oil 101 book.

Glad you car was ok also.

P.S. Also while I was there speaking with the service manager I mentioned about the plastic rear window and how dangerous it is NOT to be able to see out of it once it gets scratched. He gave me the number to Honda America and said because my car is still under the original warranty 3/36 maybe we can bug them to get it replaced with the glass like the 2002 have.

Maybe if enough of us bug them we can get this done. Just a thought. I know I am going to try.