S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ugh, Sprayed Engine, Now it won't Start

Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ugh, Sprayed Engine, Now it won't Start

So I detailed my S2K today. I started off by doing a light, 30 second or so engine spray with the hose. I've done this probably a half a dozen times in five years of ownership and never had an issue. I usually start the engine immediately and let it idle for 5-10 minutes so it dries out. I forgot today () and proceeded to clay bar and wax the car for 2-3 hours, while the water sat on the engine.

When I finshed, the car turned over but wouldn't start. Finally, after 5-6 attempts, it fired up. I then went on a 15 minute drive to dry it out. Once I pulled back into my garage, I decided to shut it off and start again... just to make sure. It wouldn't start. Damn. I tried a dozen or so times. Turns over, but won't start.

For now, I just plan to let it dry over night. Any other suggestions? Pretty frustrated with myself.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont be frustrated!! I like a clean engine as well! Let it dry out, check your throttle body for water and keep the hood open in the garage and let it dry out for a whole day or two. Maybe have a fan blow across the engine(not into the engine). Maybe your plugs got wet..?? Then start it up and let it run for 10 minutes. Make sure your starter is dry(have a fan blow on that too). I was recently flooded out of my S2K and had to replace the engine. i think you should let it dry few days unplug the sensors from the engine harness check them and let them dry as well you don't want to short anything out! You should be ok after a few days it wasnt that much water im assuming...

As a last resort If you can find a giant bowl of dry rice you can drive your car into the giant bowl to let the rice absorb the water..
Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 AM

Thanks. It's been drying all night and will through today. It's difficult to get a fan on it, as I park in a large parking garage. I don't think the plugs are wet, because it ran perfect once it started the first time. Maybe the starter is wet... not sure exactly why that would matter (simple as water and electrics don't mix I guess), but I'm sure it would. Fingers crossed it starts later today.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
Thanks. It's been drying all night and will through today. It's difficult to get a fan on it, as I park in a large parking garage. I don't think the plugs are wet, because it ran perfect once it started the first time. Maybe the starter is wet... not sure exactly why that would matter (simple as water and electrics don't mix I guess), but I'm sure it would. Fingers crossed it starts later today.
If the engine is turning over as you said then it wouldn't be ther starter so you can rule that out. My guess is you got an important sensor or relay wet. Maybe check your map sensor located on the top of the throttle body.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Ha, true. I guess that rules out the starter. Maybe it is a sensor.

After it initially started, it drove perfect, which makes me think it's not the ignition coils and/or spark plugs. Of course, now it won't start at all. Is it fair to rule out the coils and plugs, since it drove so well at first? Or should I still dry them?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

why dont you jump start it? roll down hill and pop the clutch in 2nd gear. if the car turns on then leave it for 2-3 hours
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Did you get your plugs?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
why dont you jump start it? roll down hill and pop the clutch in 2nd gear. if the car turns on then leave it for 2-3 hours
I doubt that this would allow the engine to start. His starter is turning the engine over so it has to be something else. OP you need to confirm that the car has spark. For an engine to run it must have fuel, spark, and compression. I doubt compression has been compromised (unless you hydrolocked the engine) did you get your air filter wet? Run a compression check just to be certain. But my guess is something spark related. I know it takes alot longer but start hand washing your bay. Less of chance of mishap . I hope you get it figured out!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Good news... got is started, and it's running fine! I tried starting it several times when I got home today to no avail. Last night I sprayed WD-40 on all the connectors/sensors. I started by unplugging all of them today and dabbing them with a microfiber towel and blowing them out, just to make sure they were dry. I then checked the coils and plugs, which were bone dry. At this point, my battery was also about done from all the attempted starts from the past two days. I jumped it with my Jeep and it started right up. (I know it wasn't initially the battery, as it was having trouble/wasn't starting at all right after the spray down.)

So to sum it up, I'm not exactly sure what I did, but all is good .
Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Good news... got is started, and it's running fine! I tried starting it several times when I got home today to no avail. Last night I sprayed WD-40 on all the connectors/sensors. I started by unplugging all of them today and dabbing them with a microfiber towel and blowing them out, just to make sure they were dry. I then checked the coils and plugs, which were bone dry. At this point, my battery was also about done from all the attempted starts from the past two days. I jumped it with my Jeep and it started right up. (I know it wasn't initially the battery, as it was having trouble/wasn't starting at all right after the spray down.)

So to sum it up, I'm not exactly sure what I did, but all is good .
if you still have troubles, start the car, close the hood and let it run for as long as possible. The heat should dry things out. You could also remove the coil packs and wipe them down. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ugh, Sprayed Engine, Now it won't Start