S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Two Problems with new Comptech SC install - any help?

Old 01-02-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most large pumps will whine while on.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a new SC, purchased from 4IGS2000 (at a great price too) and I received it the beginning of December. Installed second week of December. See my self-indulgent web page here. So maybe there is some warrenty I can fall back on.

After 2000 miles, it's done it 4 times, I estimate for a total of somewhere between 100 and 200 miles of driving, total between all 4 incidents. Swapping fuel pumps may not prove anything unless I run it for thousands of more miles with the stock pump, which at this point I'm not ready to do.

A couple things I may try next time it acts up:

I might try killing the fuel pump power, just to make sure that's what it is. Of course the car will die in a few seconds, but if the noise stops immediately it should prove it's the pump.

Also, I might try to make a movie on my cheesy Canon S230 and see if the noise shows up on the video. Kind of move the camera from drivers seat to outside the car to under the car, etc. Then let you guys tell me what you think.

jerrypeterson - no, the noise I hear is not the same noise as when the ignition is first turned on and the pump runs for a second or two. That noise is more of a motor-running noise, but it comes from the same place. What else is behind the driver's seat to make noise? And why would the pump not be louder under the car? There's much more sound insulation behind the driver than below the bottom of the gas tank. I thought it made sense that it was louder outside the car.

I also suspected the fuel pump because it's obviously affected by the electrical system, and there's nothing back there except light bulbs and my amplifier (yes, I checked it first - killed power but the noise was still there).

And it makes sense that lower voltage to the pump would make it quieter, but there must be more than just a power issue here because it does not do it all the time, and for nearly all of my driving time I'm sure the battery is fully charged.

Maybe I'll tap into the fuel pump wires above the tank and monitor the voltage. Hmmm. Now that I'm ready for it, it won't come back (wishful thinking)
Old 01-02-2003, 03:47 PM

I just had a brain fart, er, I mean a brain storm.

Any fuel pump will make some noise, heck it's a motor so it's bound to have some vibration. Maybe when there's enough fuel in the tank (and covering the motor), the fuel serves to dampen the vibrations, but in low fuel conditions the pump motor is operating completely in open "air", and the vibrations are more pronounced.

This would fit with the two times I know the noise immediately dissapeared when I filled up with gas. I don't remember specifically about the other two incidents, but the low fuel idea fits with the mileage ratios I estimated of when it makes noise and when it doesn't.

I'll have to pay close attention the next time the fuel gets low.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:58 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It might just be the new fuel is cold ........ like maybe it's a bad bearing that gets louder when the pump gets hot (more clearance due to thermal expansion or some sh!t)

I think you ought to get a new pump from Comptech (under warranty) if you can and swap it out. It's not that hard now that you've done it multiple time ..... right?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:27 AM

My fuel pump has been very loud since day one. I accredited it to the fact that it is a high volume pump. It does appear to be noisier when the take is low (probably for the reason you stated).

I also get a gas smell. I talked to my mechanic about it and he said that they all smell that way. He has done several Comptech installs (including NSXs) and said he hasn't seen one yet that doesn't give a little bit of gas smell.

-YS
Old 01-03-2003, 07:59 AM

call comptech or do a search concerning the smell. This is nothing new. Don't know about the noise, though.

Anyway, I used to have the smell and two things were suggested by comptech:

- check the fuel line fittings at the fuel pressure regulator that comes with the kit; if not careful when putting on, they may not "seat" right and although they don't visually leak, it's enough to allow the fuel smell to escape

- check the flange screws on the fuel pressure regulator (sorry if this isn't understandable, but these are the screws around the circumfurance that holds the "top" to the "bottom"); comptech said these can loosen up and again, no visual leak, but enough to get the fuel smell

I was having some work done on the car and when the mechanic mentioned the smell (which I had noticed occasionally), I talked to comptech and they mentioned the things above. The mechanic checked both, said the screws on the FPR were a little bit loose so he tightened them up; he also removed and reconnected the fuel line being very careful that the fittings mated correctly. I haven't had the fuel smell since and that was about six months ago.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rocketman
[B]call comptech or do a search concerning the smell.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:04 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe "most" people have either "conquered" it or never had the odor problem to begin w/ so I'd be much more worried about that noise issue you got
Old 01-04-2003, 08:35 AM

If its the same noise i had, and it sounds like it is Then I have managed to fix it. There are 3 philips screws that hold down the cover on the fuel tank. I discovered that one of them had come loose and was causing a small rattle/buzz. After tightening it and the others i no longer have the very loud fuel pump whine or the rattle/buzz.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by davepk
If its the same noise i had, and it sounds like it is Then I have managed to fix it. There are 3 philips screws that hold down the cover on the fuel tank. I discovered that one of them had come loose and was causing a small rattle/buzz. After tightening it and the others i no longer have the very loud fuel pump whine or the rattle/buzz.
No kidding. Now I gotta' break out the tools and give this a try.

Quick Reply: Two Problems with new Comptech SC install - any help?