S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Two Problems with new Comptech SC install - any help?

Old 01-02-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two Problems with new Comptech SC install - any help?

OK, I installed the SC myself so I don't have anyone to complain to, (other than Comptech) so I thought I'd give you guys a try first. I don't spend much time in "Under the Hood", so if this is not an appropriate post, just bump it.

First Problem - I have a fuel leak that I just cannot find.
There is NO fuel visible anywhere, no drips, no runs, nothing. But sometimes when I'm stopped, I can smell fuel. Sometimes it's pretty bad, sometimes barely noticeable. When driving, I don't notice it at all. If I park the car in the garage, the next moring the garage stinks like fuel.

I pulled the fuel tank again to makes sure it wasn't leaking in there - dry as a bone and no fuel odor. So I did some sniffing around under the hood and I can smell fuel near the firewall (engine running or not), but still can't find anything leaking.

And get this - after the car sat unused in an open parking garage for 5 days, I popped the hood and could smell fuel back by the firewall. Just barely, but it was there.

Second problem - sometimes the fuel pump whines terribly.
During the 2,000 miles since the install it's done it 4 times. I can run for hunderds of miles continuous with no whine, then the next time I start the car it whines. At highway speeds it is not too bad (masked by other noises) but at slower speeds or idle it's downright obnoxious. I tried re-starting the car but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

It also changes pitch with battery voltage - it goes up and down in pitch with the turn signals. Very annoying. The only consistency I have observed is that two times it stopped as soon as I filled up with gas. Could it be related to fuel level? Wierd.

Anybody else have these issues? Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:34 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Check the fuel line that goes between the fuel rail and FPR. Try tightening bit I think Comptech has sent some people a new fuel return line to solve the exact symptoms you're complaining about so the leak might be in the swaged part of the fittings.
Don't know what to tell you on the fuel pump but I think you're not alone on that one. Some of the others have really loud pumps always ......
In some cases you might get noise from the fuel line (the leaky one from above) buzzing against the firewall so check that too.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]Check the fuel line that goes between the fuel rail and FPR.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same fuel leak/odor issue with mine. i was sure it was the fuel line from the FPR to the fuel rail, was always worst in the morning when i first went into the garage. called comptech and had them send a new hose, seemed to make it better but it was still present, but now only on really hot days/nights. have heard others complain they had similar issue when newly installed, but got better after awhile, not sure if actually better or they just got used to it.

keith
Old 01-02-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
[B]I don't like the sound of your second comment.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by jerrypeterson
Sounds like a loud buzzing/humming right?
Now that you mention it, yes it's more like a humming sound than a whine.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrypeterson
[B]Have you taken a reading of your A/F ratio or measured the fuel pressure against the injectors?
Old 01-02-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what make/model pump is comptech including in the kit? i've heard a couple different ones, and haven't ever been bothered by the noise. the tank in the s2k is much closer to the driver than most cars, but still........ even a big high flow unit like the walbro 342 whines at startup, and then is basically quieter than the engine/exhaust/road.

as for the leak, you might not be able to find it at idle just because the fuel pressure isn't high enough to make it leak. pull the air line off the two FPRs, and possibly pressurize the one going to the fmu to simulate a boosted condition. you could also just restrict the return line with a clamp, but if your leak is past the clamp this won't help too much.

the car will probably stall when you do this, but not right away.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
RT

[B].......
I don't like the sound of your second comment.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[B]Now that you mention it, yes it's more like a humming sound than a whine.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:34 PM
RT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrypeterson
[B]

There is a possible reason why flipping headlights on and off affects the fuel pump behavior.

Quick Reply: Two Problems with new Comptech SC install - any help?