S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turn Signal Not Working

Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal Not Working

Hey guys and gals,

Short back story here, several weeks ago the 10A fuse that controls the dimming of the guage when the headlights are on and the taillights working blew out. I replaced it and then two weeks later it went out again. I replaced it. A few days before it went out the second time I noticed my right side turn signal flashing quickly. The front turn signal does not blink. I buy replacement bulbs and get to pulling out the old bulb. Old bulb looks fine but I put the new one in anyway. Still doesn't work....Could those two be related and what do I try now? Thank you.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Andy, if you're blowing fuses, something is wrong with the wiring.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't think of how they would be related, as they are different circuits and different fuses.

The turn signals flash fast if the current is too low, which is caused by either a burned out bulb, bad bulb socket, or a loose or disconnected wire (going to the bulb). Since you changed the bulb and it doesn't light there must be a bad socket or the wire between the turn signal relay and the socket has an open somewhere.

The parking light fuse blowing is another issue. That fuse powers the tail lights, front markers, license plate light, and all the switch and dash lamps in the interior of the car. That's a lot of locations to go looking for an intermittent short to ground or something pulling too much current.

Have any other bulbs been replaced? Any crash damage that could have crushed a wiring harness? Trailer hitch harness added? Is there anything else electrical that does not work properly? Have you checked to be sure all the proper lamps (and no others) come on with the parking lights?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modifry
I can't think of how they would be related, as they are different circuits and different fuses.

The turn signals flash fast if the current is too low, which is caused by either a burned out bulb, bad bulb socket, or a loose or disconnected wire (going to the bulb). Since you changed the bulb and it doesn't light there must be a bad socket or the wire between the turn signal relay and the socket has an open somewhere.

The parking light fuse blowing is another issue. That fuse powers the tail lights, front markers, license plate light, and all the switch and dash lamps in the interior of the car. That's a lot of locations to go looking for an intermittent short to ground or something pulling too much current.

Have any other bulbs been replaced? Any crash damage that could have crushed a wiring harness? Trailer hitch harness added? Is there anything else electrical that does not work properly? Have you checked to be sure all the proper lamps (and no others) come on with the parking lights?
Thanks for the replies. Nothing on my car electrically has changed in several years so that's one reason I was stumped. I will see if there is any visible problem with the headlight socket/bulb/etc. I've got to be honest, I'm not mechanically sound at all. I just enjoy driving and cars in general. Working on them other than basic nuts and bolts is not my forte so to speak. It's something that never clicked for me. Hence why I'm stressing out over it.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rats nest?