S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TurboS

Old 10-31-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I personally don't have an S2000, as I am simply a poor student right now .

Anyhow, I have much respect for them because of my friend's Spa Yellow.

His turbo set-up just got done, and I thought I'd share. I know this might not belong in here, but this is the only area I frequent, I'll post them here. Mods, if you decide to move the pics, I just ask for you to leave a re-direct...thanks.

Anyhow, about his turbo set-up...

...it's COMPLETELY custom from the ground-up, all the piping, manifolds and everything was custom built by this other local shop that plans on selling kits and used his car as a mule. All my buddy had to was buy/pay for the raw materials and turbo, and the other shop did all the work for free, so it really did not cost him that much.

My friend did the 3-inch exhaust (converted to single) himself at his shop.

That's an air-to-water intercooler that's actually cooling the intake charge. There is also a front mount, but that flows cooling fluid, which it cools, and a water-pump then pumps the cooled liquid into the air-to-water. This way, there won't be a need to cut anything for a front-mount air-to-air...they just run the coolant hose, which you can see, to the front, which is much easier. The compressed air also has a more direct travel to the manifold.

Here's more:

The car on his lift. That's him on the right, finishing up on his custom-exhaust install:

Sorry for the crappy pics...it's a cheap camera and the lighting wasn't all that great
Old 10-31-2003, 05:45 PM

<thread moved to UTH>

That setup looks totally ghetto. Looks aren't everything, though.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:22 PM

what the hell is that box thing it pipes into before the intake mani? it looks like a intercooler-based thing, but running radiator fluid rather than air-cooled.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cfusionpm
what the hell is that box thing it pipes into before the intake mani?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:54 PM

Interesting setup, but where's the air filter, wastegate, and what's he doing for fuel tuning? Where's the oil filter -- can't be room with a turbo under the manifold.

Also, if he's piggybacking off the stock radiator, I can promise you, based on my own experience, that the stock radiator can't keep the car cool on its own, much less with the added thermal load of cooling the intake charge. Unless I'm missing something, his charge isn't gonna be very cool.

I'd be sure to throw lots of fuel at it, and tune it conservatively. He might want to consider an AEM EMS and an aftermarket radiator.

CB

AEM EMS, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Wideband O2 Sensor; RC Engineering 550 Injectors; Turbonetics TO4B 60:1 Ball Bearing Turbo; Tial 46mm Wastegate and 50mm Blowoff Valve; GReddy EGT and Boost Warning Gauges; Upgraded Intake Fuel Pump; Oil Filter Relocation Kit with Stainless Steel Lines; Speedcraft Front Mounted Intercooler, Mandrel Bent Tubing, 3" Down Pipe, and 3" Stainless Exhaust; A'PEXi N1 Mufflers; Clutchmaster Stage 3 Clutch; Toda Lightweight Flywheel; Mugen Radiator Cap, Thermostat, and Fan Switch; Upgraded Oil Bolts; Spoon X-Brace; HeCash Brake Ducting; Competch Stainless Steel Brake Lines; WorkMeister S2R 18" Wheels; Lucid's Front and Rear Speakers; 2002 Stereo Head Unit; Rick's Front Badge; JDM Clear Side Markers; Muz Shift Knob; Uber Cool Nurburgring Decal
Old 10-31-2003, 08:35 PM

get a FAL fan if you have overheating problems
Old 10-31-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

From what I can make out from the pictures the air-water intercooler has it's own seperate radiator.

Second, the intake portion doesn't seem to be complete just yet. In the third picture, I believe you can just see the intake to the left (passenger side) of the intercooler. I assume some piping and a filter somehow fit onto that.

I have no idea what that round thing sitting where the MAP sensor is. Any ideas on make and model?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:59 AM

I'd guess that the round thing sitting on the MAP sensor is a check valve to keep the ECU from seeing boost. Which means he's probably running an FMU somewhere, with or possibly without a VAFC. Based on my experience, it's a highly undesireable setup for anything but WOT.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:47 AM

If i were your friend I would sell the vafc and FMU and get the ems before he runs out of money, if anything he car is going to buck and bog like crazy which will upset his daily driving experience
Old 11-01-2003, 11:00 AM

wonder how much power it will be making? and how long the engine will last?

Quick Reply: TurboS