S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo Vs SuperCharger

Old 10-06-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KYS2000

With the space and heat management problem are you meaning that the welds are not holding up due the extreme heat?
No, I have no experience with that. I just mean that all that hot exhaust tubing has to be in a restricted area and the heat must be isolated from under-hood components that would be damaged. Race vehicles are designed with all of this in mind. For the S, and most other production vehicles, it's an after thought.

I believe something could be made that is much more efficient than what we are now seeing, but not as finely tuned as it could be without these restrictions. We're also talking money and there being a market to support it. There seems to be a market for FI for our S in the $5-$7 range. Above that, I'm not sure.

I don't know about others, but for too much more money, if I were interested in just power, I'd probably be in the market for another vehicle - a Corvette comes to mind.

And by the way...I'm not a traitor. I've owned a Corvette and I still love my S. I like it's size, fuel economy, and zip. To me the SC was the icing on a cake I already like.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:11 PM

TSS2000 you have a PM
Old 10-07-2002, 04:56 AM

For what it's worth... an equal length manifold hasn't been pursued much because of the cost ivolved. When Dwight started on my car he initially only had an equal length manifold but due to extenisve time involved decided to go with the log style manifold... especially for production of additional 'kits'. The equal length manifold would take Dwight about 30 hours which would mean that he would need to charge somewhere in the $1500 - $2000 neighborhood for just the manifold. You might pick up 15 whp... just doesn't justify the cost.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to disagree with that one. There is still a throttle response lag on the Speedcraft kit as the turbo is relatively large for the displacement of the engine. That lag and the severity of the power hit as boost comes on would make this setup a difficult one to maximize on the track. For a very, very, very skilled driver it might be quicker, but given the traction limitations and typical rpm range the S2000 operates with on the road course, I think the centri superchargers are better for 98% of drivers. I think a positive displacement blower would be the best overall solution for anything short of a purely dedicated race setup.

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]You will get various opinions on which is better for track use.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 PM

What do you guys think about this manifold? There are several pics throughout the thread. Its on the Hypertune kit that they used on their S2000 2 years ago.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:35 PM

Sorry, here it is

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=60707
Old 10-07-2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Anthonymv
Sorry, here it is

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=60707
That is a much more efficient looking exhaust manifold.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:03 PM

I believe from reading that thread, that the problem with that setup is that it won't work on our LHD cars. Also, if one were to not use a $3000 HKS dual ball bearing turbo, a new flange would have to be welded on depending on what turbo you were planning to use. but that is the equal-length type of tubular manifold i'm talking about. However I heard at high boost, these manifolds can not hold up to the extreme temps and welds begin to crack.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:16 PM

This thread is better. all the pics in one place
Old 10-07-2002, 05:17 PM

sorry,

http://www.hypertune.com.au/guru/index.html

Quick Reply: Turbo Vs SuperCharger