S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo vs. SC

Old 09-13-2001, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo vs. SC

What is the main difference between turbo and SC. money for performance, which one is a better deal, and which one would be better if you wanted to upgrade. say, stage 2 stage 3.. etc....

if you got a turbo, can you upgrade, if you got SC.. can you do anything much more to it?

If i wanted to add boost to a car with either a SC or turbo, which one is better for it?
Old 09-13-2001, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hands down turbo is better than an S/C (edit: in my opinion).. but there is almost an infinite number of reasons to go with ethier one. The main reasons include...

Comptech S/C kit is available for a decent price, is a complete bolt on kit with a warranty..

The down sides to the S/C are numerous, but the bottom line is that the S/C is available now, and is reliable..

A turbo would ahve to be custom made at this point, however a turbo will boost at much lower RPM (full boost by 4000 or lower) does not suffer from parasitic loss (this apparently can add up -- 20-30 hp or so?) also, a turbo will be intercooled... derryck's custom turbo was claimed to make 327 at the ground at 6 psi boost at around 80 degrees ambient temp.

A turbo can be alot less reliable than an S/C because they are more complicated in nature, and also has a larger margin of error. When tuned correctly, however a turbo will be reliable and more powerful than an S/C.

S/C's also do not suffer from 'turbo lag'.. when the car is not floored it won't spool boost, it's almost like a N/A engine.. the time it takes from normal driving to full boost can take a second or two to make full power...

I am forgetting a million things, but that's a general summary..
Old 09-13-2001, 07:55 PM

Why ISN'T a SC'd S2000 intercooled?

What's the difference?
Old 09-13-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by integrate
Why ISN'T a SC'd S2000 intercooled?

What's the difference?
if you do a search on "intercooler" you'll see a lot of feedback, but basically it's agreed by experts that anything under 6psi of boost is not worth using an IC for due to the loss in pressure from the IC.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by mingster

if you do a search on "intercooler" you'll see a lot of feedback, but basically it's agreed by experts that anything under 6psi of boost is not worth using an IC for due to the loss in pressure from the IC.
Ohh, ok. I didn't know it had to do anything with how much PSI the SC or Turbo was pushing. I thought there was a special reason just for the Supercharger why an IC wasn't used.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:50 AM

The 'kit version' of my turbo setup will be slightly different than mine and will make just over 300 RWHP with proper tuning. The big difference between the turbo and the SC is this, my car at 4 PSI made 40 more lb/ft of torque at 4000 RPMS. This translates to no more waiting for the power. At 6 PSI you will be waiving bye bye to C5's.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]The 'kit version' of my turbo setup
Old 09-14-2001, 01:03 PM

my .02 cents

sc`s are usually plug and play.

Turbo`d Hondas generally require a bit of tuning and trouble shooting from time to time. Turbo experience in invaluable.

Ryan-has owned turbo`s Hondas
Old 09-14-2001, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of turbos too but only because I've driven more vehicles with it than s/c. However I do like the effect of the s/c in the Pontiac Bonneville. That's one of the smoothest boosts I've driven. Maybe it is true that you can wastegate the turbo to more easily make low end grunt but none of the turbo rides I've been in did that. They all had top-end rush. So I'm really looking forward to seeing someone give us boost below 6K.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:00 AM

They all had top-end rush. So I'm really looking forward to seeing someone give us boost below 6K.

Done, I'm in full boost by about 3500 RPM's and it pulls like demon up to 9000.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs. SC