S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo+Super charger...Why not?

Old 10-02-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo+Super charger...Why not?

Is it possable? They run the setup on drag cars, why not on ours.
Not going for insane hp #'s , just getting to top speed faster.
to be realistic, (If its possable) Run 1 turbo @6-8psi, and 1 supercharger at 6-8psi.
Have the supercharger boost from 1K-4K then blow off while the turbo kicks in at 3-4K-8000rpm. You would get instant gradification of the s/c and feel no lag as the turbo would hit full boost by the time the s/c top out, giving you the top end power where its needed when pulling at higher speeds. Keeping the combined boost setup between 12-15psi, which should propell you from 0-whatever alot faster and alot safer, by keeping boost to a reasonable amout, and not having to overwork the turbo or s/c, it save you in repairs down the road to your engine.
Its the plumbing that i am not sure of through the intercooler/aftercooler(s).
I belive its possable, but would it be worth it.
Saying all of this I am assuming one would be running 8:5:1-9:5:1 compresion
have all the managments running... a $15,000 investment is what i would see this as. 8K for the turbo 4-5K supercharger setup, and 2-3K for tuning. everything else would be stock.
What do you think?
Old 10-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds pretty rediculous to me. Honestly, why would you care about the lack of boost below 3K? If you are wanting to just reach top speed faster, you aren't going to spend any time below 3K.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm just experiencing dejavu but I swear this same exact topic has been started before, by the same exact person, with the same exact misspelling of possible.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 AM

I don't think the question is why not? I think it is why??

There are some first gen twin charged MR2s that's about the only popular twin charge kit I have seen on the street. (import)

Go do some research on Superchargers and you will realize this just won't work. The S/C you want is a roots type and it doesn't work the way you explained. It can't just shut off so you would have to boost on top of it. Plus no one makes one for the S2K that I know of.

Just get a turbo and a electronically controlled Nitrous kit. Much easier and it will do exactly what you want, well, until you destroy your drivetrain...
Old 10-02-2004, 11:27 AM

The "Why" part would be because the car is gutless untill you get up in the rpms. The Centrifical s/c gives you the initial getup and go no lag feeling; Instant boost. im not looking for a roots blower type s/c. I mean the comtech one. I know you cannot just shut a s/c off, but you can always bypass the boost, or blow it off like on a turbo. Then you can use a bigger turbo which will kick in at the higher rpms , not have to worry about the lag because the s/c is carrying you till that point, then the turbo would boost you the rest of the way. In theary, giving you faster 1/4 mile times,.. and geting you where you want to go quicker.
Why?... Its just an Idea, and was wondering what you all though about it.
Maybe its a bad idea, or maybe you could get the best of both worlds by having instant boost of the line and boost high up in the rpm's with out having to boost at 15-20lbs psi.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 AM

Like I said, read up on S/Cs. A Centrifugal S/C (Comptech, Vortech) will NOT give you low end torque. Even if you ran a combination of pulleys to get the boost down low, the parasitic losses would be huge and I would guess the boost would be uncontrollable since the pressure would increase very quickly. Then if you blew it off, the motor would still be spinning the S/C making for huge losses up top.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM

Aah., I think i see your point now. Where as the roots style blower is designed to give you instant boost, its not feasible to use on our cars, and the comptech only produces boost in the upper rpms like the turbo. Point taken.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Turbo + nitrous is what you want.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 AM

no, if instant power and top speed is what you want, you should have gotten a V8.

haha, i'm sure i'm gonna get flamed for that, but it's the truth.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to begin, theirs not enough room in the engine bay for this setup.
next, the s/c setup will boost the car begining at 6xxx rpm to give it more high end.

im not sure about s2000 turbo setups, but im sure if they were properly tuned, and a small turbo with little lag was used it may be able to boost at 3xxx rpm.

its probably just not worth the trial and error to accomplish this.

Quick Reply: Turbo+Super charger...Why not?