S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo Suggestions

Old 02-12-2003, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Suggestions

I have just bought a new 2003. I want to put turbo in the car, but I don't know diddly squat about Turbo or SuperCharger. I have done a little research here and there, but if anyone has any recommendations, that would be cool.

What about the AEM cool air intake vs. Injen?

What kind of exhaust system should I put on there....N1?

I am just looking for some suggestions so that I can start putting this thing together.

Thanks,

New Rider.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:55 AM

One thing I forgot...when in fact I get Turbo, what all needs to be done to get the full operation and power from it?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:31 PM

SUPERCHARGER FOR THE MOST PART ARE VERY RELIABLE AND A VERY NICE POWER BOOST, TURBO'S ARE HIGHER MAINT AND THE POWER IS GREAT BUT IT IS NOT AS RELIABLE AS A SUPERCHARGER, RECOMEND DOING ALOT OF RESEARCH, THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING BEFORE FI.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:37 PM

YEAH, TUBROS=URNAELIABLE
Old 02-12-2003, 12:42 PM

Not to sound too parental here...but why don't you enjoy the car as is for a little while? Sounds like you're not too familiar with the mechanics of it (eg you don't use a CAI with FI...on any car...) so take some time, get acquainted with it and learn about the characteristics of what you've got. Then decide what you want out of it, and research what does that. Everything has it's own traits and quirks. You're not going to learn this stuff by asking one or two questions...
Old 02-13-2003, 06:23 AM

Alright, thanks for the help. I guess I will just sit back and let everyone smoke me on the road for now.

ejis---Good point, I didn't know that you can't have a CAI on FI. Why? That doesn't make sense to me.

Well at any rate... I will continue to do the research.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:48 AM

An FI system serves to - as the name implies - force more air into the engine. It takes air from it's intake and compresses it to a certain pressure, creating a lot of heat in the process. The temperature of the compressed air is much higher than any engine bay temperature (this is what an aftercooler/intercoller is for).

Additionally, the pressure/temperature downstream of the compressor is not affected much by the pressure/temperature upstream. This is why you see boost in terms of a pressure value and not a pressure difference. It's easier for the compressor to do work on thin air than dense air. The same amount of power will, basically, yeild the same results regardless of intake conditions (this is of course not entirely accurate, but close enough that for this purpose it does not matter.) The most important thing is to minimize intake resistance so that the pump doesn't have to work too hard to take the air in.

More pragmatically, a CAI designed for the N/A manifold will not attach to a SC or TC system since the routing is completely different. All that being said, the Comptech SC kit contains an identical airbox to their CAI kit. The connecting pipes are, of course, unique to the application though.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:59 AM

Cool, a lot of information to soak in. I see I am going to have to put the computer book down and get into the mechanics of this car. Thanks for the info

I am going to have to run this by my friend...he said this was doa able...now I am going to have to question his mechanical skills, I was going to have him do this for me.

Till next time.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:09 AM

Look under the hood of any tuned turbocharged car to see what I mean (the only reason I say tuned is that from the factory, the intakes are designed to operate quietly as well as efficiently so it may not be as noticeable.) The intake is usually attached to the shortest, fattest pipe possibile to an appropriate area under the hood. It isn't routed to a "cold" area since that would require more piping and bends which equals more resistance.

Your friend might well know this and just refered to the intake as a separate piece. But if he's saying that you want to get a "normal" CAI to go with your FI system, I wouldn't let him touch your car...
Old 02-13-2003, 07:16 AM

hahaha

alright buddy thanks

I will have to get with him, cause he is right here...I will let him post what he is talking about, and what clarifications he will need.

Quick Reply: Turbo Suggestions