S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo and SC'ed S2k's LEND ME YOUR EARS!

Old 02-11-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very excited with anticipation here. I can finally help out the S2ki.com community.

I just spoke with a reputable tuner in So Cal. And we were discussing ways to get ahold of a top fuel turbo headgasket for my upcoming FI application. Turns out that it is a special order and that it will take approximately 450 bucks plus 3-4 months wait time. Forget that. (by the way I hear Top fuel is coming to the states in about 6 months! .yay.)

anyways. He mentioned to me that he knows where to get a custom headgasket done. Now I talked to him about the current copper headgasket application right now and how it doesnt seem to have a very good chance of success without doing major work.

But. If I can rally up 10 or MORE S2ki owners looking for Steel.(same as OEM material if I am not mistaken) headgaskets Not copper (which has been known not to seal properly without o ringing ..blah blah), then we can most likely have some headgaskets custom made reliably for our application. By good quality I mean that all we have to do is just install the headgasket just like installing a factory one...without o-ringing. Just dropping it right in. *assuming that all the necessary grooves and bumps on the factory headgasket are incorporated into the custom headgasket.

I am pushing for a good quality headgasket. Approximately 2.5 mm thick. And bringing down the compression ratio to around 10.3:1 for all you boost junkies.

I would like to know (1) who is genuinely interested. (2) what is a reasonable price for us consumers to be paying. So that I may be able to report back ASAP and see if we can get this ball rolling!

Again, this isnt a absolutely positive guarantee. Im just asking if there is an interest. Im not selling anything now.

Old 02-11-2002, 03:50 PM

hmm...maybe it isnt such a good idea.

well...I guess we'll see after some time.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:07 AM

I can honestly say that doing the head gasket isn't that great of an idea. There is alot of labor involved and if anything goes wrong then you are duplicating that labor over again.. I don't think going with steal is the solution. I know how to make it work, however I am not willing to give that information out as I spent about $4000 getting that info..

If you want to send me some money I can tell you how to get the copper head gasket to work, and it only costs $150

I don't recommend going the head gasket route, ignition timing control will give you similar results. Speedcraft didn't go this route because they (for some reason) believed that dropping the compression wasn't going to lose as much power as ignition timing (false.) (something else I learned in my expensive experiment)

Chris
Old 02-12-2002, 06:57 AM

I need a SC boost upgrade before I need a compression drop.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:34 AM

Well, thanks for your replies.

since I dont think I will be able to rally up the 10 people anymore.

I guess I will be pretty inclined to move towards the piston route. Geez, I hope that I dont seem so indecisive!haha.

but Chris, did you ever find out how much those JE pistons would cost?

and do you know if I would have to bore my cylinders at all? or is it pretty much a drop in app??? how long would it be to get them in anyways?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:33 PM

No boring required, still haven't gotten the pistons from JE cause of all the races this past weekend. The JE rep that we use was at the races so he wasn't able to do the work on our pistons. We have been playing phone tag with him all day ...

Once I find out more on the pistons then I will get pricing info. Two people have inquired about piston pricing so far so I wont forget!

Chris
Old 02-12-2002, 05:49 PM

Thats good to hear Chris. Please keep me informed.

By the way. Arent you going with titanium rods? Wonder who makes those......
Old 02-12-2002, 09:35 PM

Chris, I can't believe your not gonna release info on the proper Head Gasket procedure.

You chose to do the gasket install first, therefore you took responsibility for paving the road for other Turbo/Supercharged S2000's. And now your going to withhold info that could save someone a couple of thousand dollars. First, it is your fault that your install job was in the $4000.00 dollar range. To EVERYONE'S opinion that price was astronomical. It doesn't matter if you had something else installed along with the gasket, that price was much to overpriced. So your anger about spending $4000.00 for nothing is not OUR fault.

Bottom line: I just think your decision to withhold info is not only wrong, but immature.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Pappy
Chris, I can't believe your not gonna release info on the proper Head Gasket procedure.

You chose to do the gasket install first, therefore you took responsibility for paving the road for other Turbo/Supercharged S2000's. And now your going to withhold info that could save someone a couple of thousand dollars. First, it is your fault that your install job was in the $4000.00 dollar range. To EVERYONE'S opinion that price was astronomical. It doesn't matter if you had something else installed along with the gasket, that price was much to overpriced. So your anger about spending $4000.00 for nothing is not OUR fault.

Bottom line: I just think your decision to withhold info is not only wrong, but immature.

Pappy, I do agree with what you stated, and I do think that 4Gs is wayyyyyy overboard, but I guess its really up to Chris whether or not he wants to release the information.
However, if I was in his shoes, I would definitely want to help the S2ki community and share my findings. So Chris,...please, ....cmon Chris....cmon???
Old 02-13-2002, 06:26 AM

It's his right to hold or tell. But I agree, I've spent a lot of money on my car and I share everything I learn. Example, I don't want anyone spending $6K fixing their rear end like I did; knowledge is power.

Quick Reply: Turbo and SC'ed S2k's LEND ME YOUR EARS!