S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo Help Again!

Old 01-30-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Help Again!

I need some Turbo owners to talk to via PM's, AIM, email, or phone.

-Trung
Old 01-30-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

What's the problem Trung?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:40 PM

Today has been a very bad day for me. I thought my Turbo problem was dealt with, and all I need was tuning. My tuner and I showed up at our dyno tune session. We slowly tuned the car in increments of 2k rpms. I knew something would go wrong and sure enough at 6k-7k we had some weird problem that normally would be running to lean. Tuner and I saw i was running 11.? and very rich.

We kept having boost spikes at 15 psi (no good). We make sure it's not the profec e01 (it's not), the waste gate (it's not or so we think). My tuner wasn't the installer of my kit, so we dynoed up to 6500-7000 rpms and I pull 241rwhp all the way to those rpms. He speculates it will be at around 300rwhp if we were able to go to 9k rpms.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:55 PM

wtf....15psi boost spikes??? Sometimes the simplest things cause the biggest problems. Just be sure the hoses have no leaks at all.

For the sudden leaning out, dont know what to say. Where do you have the MAP clamped?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:59 PM

I suspect that the spikes are the result of the duty cycle of the boost controlling solinoid being set too high. lower it to about 40 % and go from there.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 PM

What is the spring on your wastegate? Can you post the data of your dyno, ie rpm,boost,a/f, hp, and tq.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:05 PM

If you are using the E0-1 for a boost controller, that could be your problem. The Greddy profec B series II boost solenoids are notorious for spiking. I had the very same problem with mine, and it eventually cost me my motor. I heard from a very reputable Honda tuner that following the instuctions for hooking up the profec is wrong in the manual, and that he got it to work with a very odd setup.

IMO, setting the gain feature wouldn't really work, since your working with such a low boost level (6-8 psi). I tried everything, from setting the start gain, and the percentage, etc. Nothing would work. I did some research, and apparently that boost solenoid pretty much sucks. Oh, and I was using a 46 mm Tial wastegate with a 5 lb spring.

Nick
Old 01-31-2004, 08:13 AM

I have the dyno plot but it's in rpms/hp. The dyno will be posted asap. The wastegate spring is only 7 psi. I talked to Darryl from Ultimate Racing and he said it's the vacuum lines and what not. I asked him if the lines where wrong, would it be a possibility that the spring keeps close and builds up too much boost? He replied with a yes, so I think that's my problem. I even tried disconnecting the profec e01 and still hits 15lbs boost spikes. We'll see what happens.

-Trung
Old 01-31-2004, 02:01 PM

If you disconnected the boost controller and the boost still hit 15psi, then it is quite possibly the wastegate since the spring should take over and keep the boost at 7psi. Is the pre load ring installed on the waste gate? Its the ring that sit below the actuator when you bolt the wastegate down.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Trung. I talked to Darryl at UR the other day and asked him about getting a boost controller. He told me that I shouldn't use one unless I am going higher on the boost but he also didn't recommend it. He said the wastegate spring is set between 6.2 and 7.2 lbs. I am going to leave mine at UR's spring rate and just tune it to that. Should still be able to yield the 300 rwhp mark if the tunning is write. Plenty for me and since putting more boost and stress to the stock internals could possibly cause some major problems over time. Just something to think about. Hope you figure out that spike problem.

Chadd

Quick Reply: Turbo Help Again!