S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tuning- Catless vs. Cat

Old 05-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 replies and no one answered anything to the main question
Old 05-13-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

tune it however you plan to drive it most often ie. more than 50% of the time...the car is not going to blow up if you tune it with the cat then put a test pipe on, and vice versa...

its ok...and yes, its ok to tune for both then just redo the settings for the other by yourself...thats fine to...

personally I tuned a 99 Eclipse GST that I owned a little over a year ago by myself and I was only 17...I'm 19 now...and I was making about 340hp
Old 05-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So yes, I could tune it by myself? Just want to make this clear for myself before I spend gobs of cash.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to drive it on a daily basis with a test pipe--have it tuned with the test pipe. If you're going to drive it on a daily basis with a cat, tune it on a cat.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamiy,May 13 2005, 05:49 PM
So yes, I could tune it by myself? Just want to make this clear for myself before I spend gobs of cash.
as long as you feel comfortable...I personally wouldn't tune myself with a VAFC...however with the EMS, you can log the data from the car...and through what you see, you can tune the car...thats how cars get tuned...

main things you need to watch out for is knock, and the A/F ratio...you don't want knock, and you want the A/F around 12.5 typically on our cars...in some cases you can go to 13.5 but in your case, you make a little less power on the rich side while being safer.

however if you are having "professionals" do this for you I personally don't see why they can't make you two different maps, and with something like an EMS, you should be able to save the two different maps on the laptop and just load them as you change stuff one your car it should be that easy...if they cant do that then they should definitly be able to give you the necessary changes you need when switching from with or without cat...just write it down on paper and change it as you change the car.

However you do things, good luck...

Eric

PM me if you have any other questions...