S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out

Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJeep_1999,Feb 1 2006, 09:28 AM
The only thing I would add is that I recommend bringing in your car only if you're having the problem... it seems that if you don't see it by 10K or so you're tranny is probably within spec and okay.

Think of it like this... they have a production spec tolerance where the gear must be between 5 and 10 units in width. Well it turns out that it really needs to be between 7 and 10 units or it destroys the snycro's. If you have a tranny that fell within the 7 to 10 range, of the 5 to 10 spec, you are fine... it's the folks that have the 5's and 6's that are having trouble.

I know that is all general, but I don't think the Honda tech knew the exact measurements, but just that the parts were not in spec.

Anyway, if you don't have the problem you'll be replacing your tranny parts with identical parts (check out the part numbers)... only this time you'll have some 18 year old Honda tech putting those same parts in instead of having it assembled in a controlled production environment. If you already have gears that fall within the new spec range I don't understand why you would want to tear down your tranny to replace them with identical gears

Does this help or just make things more confusing?
I agree 100%. The only reason I even considered bringing mine in is in case it started happening later on in the trannys life. That and the idea of a brand new 1 & 2nd gearset doesn't sound bad either. I was pretty good with mine, but when I first got the car I grinded a few times. Now that I'm fully used to it and shift it smooth, it'd be nice to know I'm riding on perfect gears. Kind of like how everyone who had clutch buzz in thee early AP1's ended up with a new clutch.

Regardless I may just wait on this to when and if it becomes problematic. Mine seems to work fine. I have a late model 2004 (sold December 2004) so I assume if this issue does NOT effect 2005, then it was an early 2004 issue.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 PM
WPS

is there a tsb on grinding or crunching into 2nd?
i had a few pop out in 1st but it's been a long while since it happened.
will they do a tsb after the warranty expires?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TJeep_1999,Feb 1 2006, 09:28 AM
The only thing I would add is that I recommend bringing in your car only if you're having the problem... it seems that if you don't see it by 10K or so you're tranny is probably within spec and okay.

Think of it like this... they have a production spec tolerance where the gear must be between 5 and 10 units in width. Well it turns out that it really needs to be between 7 and 10 units or it destroys the snycro's. If you have a tranny that fell within the 7 to 10 range, of the 5 to 10 spec, you are fine... it's the folks that have the 5's and 6's that are having trouble.

I know that is all general, but I don't think the Honda tech knew the exact measurements, but just that the parts were not in spec.

Anyway, if you don't have the problem you'll be replacing your tranny parts with identical parts (check out the part numbers)... only this time you'll have some 18 year old Honda tech putting those same parts in instead of having it assembled in a controlled production environment. If you already have gears that fall within the new spec range I don't understand why you would want to tear down your tranny to replace them with identical gears

Does this help or just make things more confusing?

I just flipped 48000 miles on mine and I've NEVER had this happen.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 PM

48,000 miles on an ap2! Wow, one of the higher ones. Any other probs thus far?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Feb 1 2006, 11:30 PM
48,000 miles on an ap2! Wow, one of the higher ones. Any other probs thus far?
Not one! Except an old lady merged into my lane and caused me to get some curb rash on 2 rims I needed an alignment after that too.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:03 AM

I hope mine is as problem free! I'm at 6,000 miles now. Only complaints are that annoying tick-ish noise I hear b/t 3,000 and 4,000 RPMs that everyone keeps telling me is normal valve noise, lol.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 PM

Hey I'm going to bump this up as I'm curious how other 2004-2005 owners are doing. I'm really tempted to take my car into the dealer for this. My car hasn't popped out of gear more than a handful of times (maybe 3-4) in the past 6,000 miles I've put on it, but my second gear just never feels right. It's harder to engage smoothly than any other gear (including starting in 2nd), that clunkyness I you get going into 2nd when its cold seems to even happen sometimes when its warm.

How hard is it to have this done? Do I need to worry about an run of the mill Honda tech messing up my tranny if they change the gearset? I'm wondering if a new 2nd gear set and syncro might be for the best?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 AM

I had the same issue with mine, since day 1 (2004). It would pop out of 2nd when there was torque reversal (down shifting). They said they replaced the countershaft, including the syncro packs and the shift fork. This was before the TSB existed, so I don't think they knew what the locus of the problem was. After all was said and done, the tech speculated that it was either a bent shift fork or a slight machining error on the countershaft.

Since then, 2nd grinds very slightly when cold, but otherwise no issues downshifting. However, 2nd will periodically pop out when the transmission is cold when I first let the clutch out (feels like it's not getting fully engaged). Seems to disappear when the transmission is warm.

I haven't bothered to take it back, since they dinged up the valve cover and tore the hood seal gasket when they worked on it the last time (dealer was kind enough to replace both when I complained). I just don't feel it's worth having it torn down again, and the performance now is adequate.

The transmission in this car seems to be a bit tempramental...which is understandable.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the car for almost 6 months now and now have 3000 miles on it. I haven't had first gear pop out since that time. Second gear is still very notchy and doesn't seem to become less notchy after it warms up. I will ask the dealer to take a look at it the next time I take it in, but I don't expect too much.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 PM

I just got my car back from the tsb tonight- 2004 18,000 miles. It was my first service (all oil/diff/tranny have redline that I put in at home).

The grind is gone, so is the popping out of gear! My car did not shift this nice the day I brought it home from the dealer new.

I called and they ordered parts in advance, 1 day in and out. Woohoo! I'm thrilled!

Quick Reply: TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out