S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TSB 01-100: Transmission Pops Out of 4th Gear

Old 09-18-2004, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB 01-100: Transmission Pops Out of 4th Gear

I've searched and searched, but to my surprise no luck finding a post on this. If it is out there, please educate me on how you found it.

My '01 is starting to have the symptom of the above TSB, however it is extremely intermittent. Even the TSB states that it is an intermittent issue.

In fact it happens so infrequently, I thought I was just something I was doing wrong as going from a worn out '88 CRX Si that has over 165K miles (which still does great at the AutoX... I'm making the local mini's sweat) to the '01 S2000, it has quite a different throw. However, once I read this TSB, it helped me figure out that it was only the 4th gear that was doing this, so I am *suspicious* that my tranny is sick and needs this TSB done.

So, has anyone else had this problem, and can you remember how you were able to duplicate it? I would like to consistently duplicate the problem with the mechanic in the car as I know that it will not fail during their assessment of the problem. grrr....

2nd question, my '01 only has 17K miles but is 6 months out of the factory warranty. What are the odds of Honda covering this problem since it is a known problem with this car? Should I not waste my time with Honda or just go to my local trusty and talented mechanic and use my 3rd party warranty (warranty direct)?

3rd question, if I go the warranty direct approach, I will most likely wait for it to fail more frequently to know for sure what's happening. Is there any danger of not fixing this before it gets worse?

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post, and TIA for those that respond.

-Dave
Old 09-29-2004, 03:28 PM

^^bump^^
Old 09-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 01. At first it was once every month or so. But now it's happening more than once per week. I am still on the fence about doing the 3rd party warranty because my luck will have a mechanic drive for hours in 4th and nothing happen. It only does it at cruise and not acceleration. Same for you?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to duplicate it on my '00 by cruising about 3000rpm in 4th on a very level road and easing off until there was no load.. it would slip out especially if we then came to a slight drop in the surface.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by dispader,Sep 29 2004, 03:42 PM
I have the same problem with my 01. At first it was once every month or so. But now it's happening more than once per week. I am still on the fence about doing the 3rd party warranty because my luck will have a mechanic drive for hours in 4th and nothing happen. It only does it at cruise and not acceleration. Same for you?
My problem is very hard to predict. One time it is once a month and then I had it happen twice within minutes and then it would not happen again for a few more weeks. very... very strange....

When I got it to happen twice really close together, it was around 50 mph and at cruise.

As of the 3rd party warranty, IMO it is just a matter of time before I can figure out the formula for duplicating the problem. With the assistance of the community, I hope to accellerate this.

So, I know this will be a good investment... However, if I can get Honda to fit the bill, IMO it would better as it would not count this repair against my 3rd party warranty.

Thanks for your reply and hope your sick tranny gets resolved without busting your wallet.

-Dave
Old 09-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Sep 29 2004, 03:50 PM
I was able to duplicate it on my '00 by cruising about 3000rpm in 4th on a very level road and easing off until there was no load.. it would slip out especially if we then came to a slight drop in the surface.
Hmm... easing off might be the missing link as when my problem happened twice quickly, it was in a lot of traffic where I was having to do a lot of this.... plus it was on a very level road...

Maybe I'll go to that same road and try the 3K in 4th and ease off and on a lot. The good news is that if this is the formula, I will be able to drive the mechanic on this path and show them the problem.

BTW, have y'all noticed that when it slips out of gear that is slings it out? I had my hand lightly on the shifter when it happened and I was very surprised on how hard it throws it out.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

BTW, have you resolved this problem yet?

-Dave
Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daverx7,Sep 30 2004, 04:52 AM
BTW, have you resolved this problem yet?
Mine was fixed under warranty.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

what years does this problem affect.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Sep 30 2004, 04:39 AM
Mine was fixed under warranty.
Was your car still under warranty or did the do a concession?

Also, did they give you any trouble covering the repair?

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Sep 30 2004, 01:27 PM
what years does this problem affect.
According to the TSB, it applies to: 2001 S2000

Quick Reply: TSB 01-100: Transmission Pops Out of 4th Gear