S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trying to diagnose sudden balky shifting

Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trying to diagnose sudden balky shifting

Hi,

I've done some searching, and haven't been able to find anything that precisely describes my problem (the closest I've come was this: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/886..._fromsearch__1).

I have a 2001 with all stock drivetrain. I replaced the tranny fluid about a year ago (4000 miles) with GMSMFM.

I was traveling on business last week, and didn't drive my car for six days. When I went to drive, I found the shifting to be balky on my way in to work, but only when shifting at high RPM's. At low rpm's it feels just like normal. By balky, I mean that as I'm shifting, it's like the shifter hits a brick wall as I move into the new gear. It's almost as if there is no gate (imagine what it would feel like to try to shift into seventh. With about 10 times the force as usual, I can push through the "wall". This wall is fully in place if I'm shifting at 8k or 9k, whereas at 3k everything is perfect. I can start to feel it build at about 5k and it is progressively more difficult to shift as I try it at higher revs. The balkiness is apparent upshifting or downshifting in all forward gears.

Yesterday, I relubed the shifter, which actually made operating the shifter smoother at low rpm's, but did not change the problem at high rpm's. I think this is something that I should have done before, but has no impact on the current problem.

Today, I bled the clutch fluid. This is definitely something I should have done before as the fluid was pretty nasty. In the process of doing this, I noticed that my slave cylinder is sort of squeaky when cold. So, I think I will replace it.

However, I don't feel like replacing the slave cylinder is likely to be the culprit. On many occasions, I've been lazy and failed to fully depress the clutch while shifting and the result is either a grinding refusal to enter the gear or a crunching.

In the post referenced above, someone posited that it's likely a build up of dust/rust/grease on the splines causing the clutch to stay engaged with the flywheel. It seems to me that this might explain my symptoms.

My question is this: how would you go about troubleshooting this problem?

One course of action would be:
1. Double-check the clutch pedal free play,
2. Replace the clutch slave cylinder and see what happens.
3. If 1 or 2 does not fix it, replace the clutch, clean/regrease the splines and see what happens.
4. ??? Replace tranny ???

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a master cylinder leak? Do you see any fluid at the top of your clutch pedal? Did you see any air bubbles while bleeding your clutch?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what happened when my slave went out. IMO, your next trip should be moving the car to where ever it needs to be to have the slave changed(your mechanic, a garage). The car may already be where it needs to be for the repair, I'm just trying to give you a heads up, you DO NOT want to be on the road when your slave gives out all the way. Which from what you are describing, it sounds like its on its VERY last leg. I'm no mechanic, I'm just speaking from experience, I'd hate for you to end up stuck on a busy street in a car thats stuck in gear. Not only dangerous, but hell to get on a wrecker or even on the side of the road for a repair. Best of luck!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Good advice-- I appreciate it!

Car will stay in the garage until the slave cylinder arrives.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Maybe a master cylinder leak? Do you see any fluid at the top of your clutch pedal? Did you see any air bubbles while bleeding your clutch?
I'm not aware of any fluid, but where exactly should I be looking for it?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1348395269' post='22031865
I'm not aware of any fluid, but where exactly should I be looking for it?

any dampness from brake fluid on your clutch pedal or the kick panel behind it
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my 2004 with 65K miles in a shop for some work about a month ago. I asked the tech to look over the clutch and possibly adjust it for me, because it always felt inconsistent shifting. When he grabbed a flashlight and looked up at the top of the clutch pedal, he noticed a drop of brake fluid forming. He said I needed a new master cylinder. After he did the work (R&R master cylinder), the clutch and shifting has never felt better.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you replace your trans fluid with? I read you used GMSMFM but i have never heard of that. If it is not the correct fluid then you may have damaged the syncros in the trans.

Hopefully its just the slave, keep us updated.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Well, I've finally gotten a chance to take a look at the master cylinder. Here is a picture from inside the car. There looks to be some grease forming at the bottom of the rod, but perhaps this is sludge from the clutch fluid. Is this normal or abnormal? Should I replace the m/c?

I've got the slave cylinder in hand. But there doesn't seem to be much point in replacing it on its own if I need to do the master cylinder as well.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 4forall
What did you replace your trans fluid with? I read you used GMSMFM but i have never heard of that. If it is not the correct fluid then you may have damaged the syncros in the trans.

Hopefully its just the slave, keep us updated.
GMSMFM is General Motors SynchoMesh Friction Modified. It is a fairly popular choice for the trans fluid on S2000's. I've not heard anything bad about it, but perhaps my information is out of date.

Quick Reply: Trying to diagnose sudden balky shifting