S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The truth about 90w diff oil

Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 06-09-2004, 08:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

That was very comforting RR.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:24 AM

Why not get an opinion from Torsen? Honda sources the differential from them.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Boit
Why not get an opinion from Torsen? Honda sources the differential from them.
I might be wrong about this, but I think Honda licenses the Torsen technology and builds the diff themselves (presumably in Japan). Still, Boit, that's not a bad suggestion.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
I already refuted every point that guy made, and do not care to redo the work I have already done.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slipstream444
For note, the fluid that comes out of my diff is clean every time I change it (not including the first change after the factory fill).
Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slipstream444
My last change was after 7500+ miles and came out spotless with very little on the mag plug (there were no slivers, no chips, or anything more than the thin dark film on the plug).
Old 06-10-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 75W/90 differential oil was pulled from my car with 13,338 miles on it and it looked spotless too - when compared to the black, gooey OEM fill!

I'm still changing to LE 607 .

Road Rage is about as straightforward as one can get. I didn't detect any indication of taking things personally, just someone trying to set the record straight about empiracle data. I'm surprised that this has become so contentious when all one has to do is read the information and make a decision for yourself.

slipstream444 - As far as Amsoil paying for any oil-related damage to a differential, if the end cap fails, or the ring and pinion gear breaks I bet a beer that that Amsoil will determine that it's not an oil-related failure. Can you report on any cases where Amsoil warranted a differential on any car? I'd be very interested to read about it.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Mobil 1 75W/90 differential oil was pulled from my car with 13,338 miles on it and it looked spotless too - when compared to the black, gooey OEM fill!

I'm still changing to LE 607 .

Road Rage is about as straightforward as one can get. I didn't detect any indication of taking things personally, just someone trying to set the record straight about empiracle data. I'm surprised that this has become so contentious when all one has to do is read the information and make a decision for yourself.

slipstream444 - As far as Amsoil paying for any oil-related damage to a differential, if the end cap fails, or the ring and pinion gear breaks I bet a beer that that Amsoil will determine that it's not an oil-related failure. Can you report on any cases where Amsoil warranted a differential on any car? I'd be very interested to read about it.
Coral Doc: Everything you say is mirrored by my own thinking. I never get contentious - i merely had already responded to that post, yet felt that all the energy I have put into this has been wasted as the "nervous nellies" were willing to turn on a dime and a prayer. And having to sort out what an "oil expert" who has financial skin in the game, and is not even trained in the principle technology under discussion, as to what applies to the direct challenge to LE and what doesn't, is beyond my ken.

I too would like to see some references (people we could email, not associated with Amsoil) and/or some bona fide indicators (like a tax statement) of how much Amsoil has paid out over the years for its "warranty". In my many years of ownership and racing experience, I have never seen where an oil company took the rap for an oil-related failure. That may mean oil has never failed - it may also mean they have a good front end marketing wing, good attroneys, and gullible clientele.

Remember, that I am an Amsoil Preferred Customer, and have resold it to my hi-perf clientele. So I would have a lot to gain by just toeing the line - everyone here knows that I have had very positive things to say about Amsoil's products, including S2000 75w90, elsewhere. I am just a person that likes to deal with facts, not shadowfacts, and that "refutation" of LE was weak. I think the author clearly associated LE with his remaining comments about 90w's in general, which is disingenuous at best IMO. In The Law, that is the reason that people are sworn to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".

Maybe we should revert back to Boar Mucous yet again - that lubricant has never been challenged - who would dare? It is like Elven bread - the non plus ultra of its kind.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:48 PM
gsp

I run LE 607

Quick Reply: The truth about 90w diff oil