S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trunk Release Stopped Working

Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Gawd I love this site...you guys are awesome...I'm going to check my wiring but I would be shocked if it wasn't the same issue.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Stopped working yesterday and before wasting any time looking at fuses and the like, I got on my computer and found a few threads on the forums that I'll post in. Unclipped and unwrapped wire loom, sure enough, yellow and black wire snipped. Decided that if there was stress on THAT wire and ALL the wires are the same length, I'd be better served to just cut/solder and extend all of them. Added heatshrink, rewrapped it in the loom and wrapped it with electrical tape. You can't even tell it was touched aside from an extra 2 inches of slack in the lines to avoid this issue in the future.

Here's the exposed break...I removed the left side trunk lining.
Name:  20140407_184135_zpsqqpfw4bp.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  87.0 KB

Here's the snipped wiring
Name:  20140407_185624_zpsblmlcqeu.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  96.1 KB

soldered and done...well worth the hour long fix
Name:  20140407_190651_zps389pyni9.jpg
Views: 3802
Size:  92.0 KB

all buttoned up
Name:  20140407_190925_zpsp0aroq36.jpg
Views: 3692
Size:  98.1 KB

Clipped back in

the extra slack now
Name:  20140407_191046_zpswwpuvnz7.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  62.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (11-07-2021)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I love writeups like these. File them away mentally for future reference.

May I just state the obvious for the electrically challenged, when you get to the part where you are testing it, but haven't put the shrink wrap on yet, first make sure none of the exposed parts of the wires are touching each other nor touching anything metal.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 PM

^^^Yes, that is a great point, also, I was stupid and cut them all so I had to keep all the wires from touching each other the entire time, in addition to not having killed the battery. I should have disconnected the battery.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine stopped working yesterday. Checked it out, it was the same problem. a cut wire.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 PM

So I bought my S a month or two ago, and the trunk release button never worked. Fast forward to today, I got a keyless entree fob. I'm trying to get it programmed and it's not giving me any feedback (door isn't unlocking as a sign that it has been programmed). I know that one of the first steps in setting this key fob up is to make sure that you are in the car with all doors locked and trunk closed. I'm wondering if this broken trunk wire would prevent the key fob from getting programed.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 AM

I highly doubt it because the switch doesn't let the car know whether or not the signal to open the latch was successful or not. Pretty sure I'm right...so the brain of the car still thinks it's fine...especially true since we don't have any warnings for open doors/trunk in this car.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by electrokillz
So I bought my S a month or two ago, and the trunk release button never worked. Fast forward to today, I got a keyless entree fob. I'm trying to get it programmed and it's not giving me any feedback (door isn't unlocking as a sign that it has been programmed). I know that one of the first steps in setting this key fob up is to make sure that you are in the car with all doors locked and trunk closed. I'm wondering if this broken trunk wire would prevent the key fob from getting programed.

It shouldn't make a difference in programming the remote unless the wire is broken and the exposed wire is touching bare metal but that's highly unlikely.

Here's the remote programming instructions in case you need them--(make sure the remote battery is ok----if you bought a used remote, I'd just replace the battery so you know its good--you can get one at Target or any drug store)

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/159...s-to-your-car/

Its in the FAQs at the top of the the S2000 Talk Forum (in post #4) ---theres a bunch of great info in the FAQs that's worth skimming through if you haven't already.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by electrokillz' timestamp='1447914988' post='23807168

It shouldn't make a difference in programming the remote unless the wire is broken and the exposed wire is touching bare metal but that's highly unlikely.

Here's the remote programming instructions in case you need them--(make sure the remote battery is ok----if you bought a used remote, I'd just replace the battery so you know its good--you can get one at Target or any drug store)

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/159...s-to-your-car/

Its in the FAQs at the top of the the S2000 Talk Forum (in post #4) ---theres a bunch of great info in the FAQs that's worth skimming through if you haven't already.

Good luck!
Thanks for the link! I've actually tried programming it using several different methods that i've read (doors all closed and locked, door closed/ unlocked, door open), each time I repeat the process about 10 times before giving up ( II, lock button, I, II, lock button...) and ( II, lock button, off, II, lock button, off...). I ordered this remote from a vendor on ebay and the light lights up when I click a button, so i don't think it's a battery issue. So if it isn't the trunk latch wire i'm completely lost.

Any other ideas of the culprit before I try to get a refund for this? Thanks again for the feedback
Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

UPDATE:

I went and bought a new battery from Target, tried programming it a million more times with no luck. As a last resort I fixed my trunk latch. Found two cut wires back there, black and white AND black and yellow. Any idea what that Black and white cable was for? Anyway, reconnected both wires; tested trunk latch; everything worked; tried programming keyless remote again and NOTHING. WTF.

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Stopped Working