S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trunk Release Stopped Working

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Release Stopped Working

Yo. It recently stopped working about two weeks ago. I've ran some searches and came across some diagrams, but didn't understand what I was looking at. When I press the remote, which is the OEM remote, I hear something at the fuse box, but no luck. I checked the fuses that are down there at the panel and they're all fine. Is there a seperate trunk fuse that I need to look for? I also checked the wires in the trunk and everything is still connected. Please help. Opening the trunk with the key is a hassle.

Thank you,

David.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Find the solenoid in the trunk that opens the latch and pull off the wiring connector. Use a cheap multimeter to probe the voltage on the wires while someone else hits the button. If you see a pulse, the wiring is fine and the solenoid has gone bad. If you don't see a pulse, you have an electrical issue - could be as simple as a fuse, or it could be bad wiring.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Just in case someone needs help with this problem, mine stopped working recently. Here's what I checked and what I fixed.
1. Fuse # 26 under the drivers side. It's the top one on the right side. 15 A Checked fine.
2. Fuse in the main panel under the hood. #34 I think. Checked fine.
3. Applied power to #1, ground #2 of the solenoid connector in the trunk. Looking at the connector # 1 is left, #2 in the middle. Positive is Black/yellow stripe. just a touch of power to the positive terminal should activate the solenoid. Checked fine.
4. Checked for power and ground at the connector coming from the wire loom. No power or ground when button is pressed.
5. Opened the wire loom where it snakes past the driver's side trunk hinge. It feeds into a larger loom near the rear deck. Both hot and ground pull out freely. Both are broken. Since my car is stock, it must be a design flaw. Opening and closing the trunk eventually caused the wires to break where it is wire wrapped really tight to keep it from moving.
The fix was as follows.
Cut the wire wrap under the rear deck. One black wire wrap holds it in place. Completely open the plastic duct over the four wires feeding from the corner panel to the trunk hinge enough to work on the splice. Bare all four ends 1/2 inch each. Cut two pieces of equivalent size wire 3" long. bare all four ends of the short pieces. Cut two pieces of shrink wrap long enough to cover both splice points with one piece. Slide one on each of the longer existing wires. The ones from the trunk were longer. Twist one pair at a time, solder then move to the next pair till all four splices are done. Test the trunk switch. If it works, and it should, slide the heat shrink up and heat it. Tuck the wires back into the loom. All done and it should look just like it did before.
Honda, calm down with the wire wrap. Way too tight.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Awesome this solved my problems!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by wirejock,May 10 2010, 05:29 PM
Just in case someone needs help with this problem, mine stopped working recently. Here's what I checked and what I fixed.
1. Fuse # 26 under the drivers side. It's the top one on the right side. 15 A Checked fine.
3. Applied power to #1, ground #2 of the solenoid connector in the trunk. Looking at the connector # 1 is left, #2 in the middle. Positive is Black/yellow stripe. just a touch of power to the positive terminal should activate the solenoid. Checked fine.
4. Checked for power and ground at the connector coming from the wire loom. No power or ground when button is pressed.
5. Opened the wire loom where it snakes past the driver's side trunk hinge. It feeds into a larger loom near the rear deck. Both hot and ground pull out freely. Both are broken. Since my car is stock, it must be a design flaw. Opening and closing the trunk eventually caused the wires to break where it is wire wrapped really tight to keep it from moving.
The fix was as follows.
Cut the wire wrap under the rear deck. One black wire wrap holds it in place. Completely open the plastic duct over the four wires feeding from the corner panel to the trunk hinge enough to work on the splice. Bare all four ends 1/2 inch each. Cut two pieces of equivalent size wire 3" long. bare all four ends of the short pieces. Cut two pieces of shrink wrap long enough to cover both splice points with one piece. Slide one on each of the longer existing wires. The ones from the trunk were longer. Twist one pair at a time, solder then move to the next pair till all four splices are done. Test the trunk switch. If it works, and it should, slide the heat shrink up and heat it. Tuck the wires back into the loom. All done and it should look just like it did before.
Thanks! Mine stopped working recently, checked all the fuses, swapped latches with a buddy and was clueless. Was dreading having to do all kinds of electrical problem solving and then found your post. Investigated into the loom and found my power wire broke, I'll be fixing this weekend.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by wirejock
The fix was as follows.
This post was awesome. I tore apart the trunk, and cut open the harness last night, and Sure enough back by the rear firewall there were two broken wires. I had to cut apart and remove the body mounted zip tie holders (3 brown on the trunk arm, and 1 back behind the trunk liner). Anyone have part numbers for those by chance? I went to the local dealer who was worthless, and couldn't find them. They then proceeded to give me the contact info for a local Honda salvage yard as if they'd be able to remove the zip ties without destroying them. If you can't get the tie/mounts without ordering the whole harness what did you end up rigging it with to keep the harness out of the way and prevent another breakage?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This page should have the loom retainers you want....

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...BAND+-+BRACKET
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
This page should have the loom retainers you want....

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...BAND+-+BRACKET
Yep, thank you sir. I swear some of those parts peeps are worthless.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM

when i press the trunk button on my keyless, the red led doesn't light up. is my remote the issue?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ak_y
when i press the trunk button on my keyless, the red led doesn't light up. is my remote the issue?
Sounds like it. Does it work to unlock the doors? Have you tried pressing it and holding it? Perhaps you're not pressing it long enough to actuate the light. Also, when you press the button you should be able to hear a click from the relay inside the dash if you're in the cabin.

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Stopped Working