S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trunk Lid Opens By Itself

Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Lid Opens By Itself

Okay!

I have an oem alarm install in my car and it controls hood, doors and trunk. For some odd reason when I was detailing the interior of the S I would hear a release sound from the trunk. Initially I thought that the fob was pinned between the seat and it was pressuring the trunk button making it open by itself. I removed the key fob from car and place it outside with control buttons facing up. I continued with the cleaning process and so often, like every 2-3 minutes, I would hear the trunk lock release even though that the trunk lid was already open. I went in the house to check on the spare/second key fob to make sure nothing was depressing the trunk button and it was free of anything touching it. I just recently closed car with the fob and as expected about 5 min later the car trunk popped open on its own and the car alarm was blaring in the garage.

What in the world could be going on? Anyone has experienced with this problem? I cant seem to find my alarm instruction booklet at the present time, but in the mean while if you have an idea of what is going on with the car please advise. At the present time I have disconnected the battery, but not sure if this will help once I reconnect.

Thanks in Advance
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure what the problem is but while you figure it out you could disconnect the wiring at the truck solenoid to keep it from opening the trunk. It's a 5-10 minute job to unplug it.

Here's how--there is an electrical connection to the trunk lock at the lock itself that trips a solenoid and unlocks the trunk when you push the button on the fob or push the trunk unlock button in the center compartment. If you remove the grey trim panel around the trunk lock you'll see the wires going to the lock. Just unplug them for now and the trunk will stay closed because the electrical signal to release it won't reach the lock. The key lock on the trunk lid will still work and you'll have to use that to open the trunk til you get it fixed.

Tracing down electrical gremlins can be frustrating but doing this will at least let you drive the car without the trunk opening all the time.

One thing I'd check is the trunk release push button in the center compartment to see if it is working.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whens the last time you held an exorcism for your car?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:06 AM
Whens the last time you held an exorcism for your car?

I haven't done one lately!! But might need to take it to the Priest to work out the demons in it. LOL!!

Okay! this is what I have done. I have new Duralast Gold Series battery in the car since this happen. At the time I had disconnected the actuator and it resolved the self opening process. Also battery was disconnected for several days. I recently connected the connector back to the trunk lock again and when I push on the key fob on the trunk button it does not open the trunk, however, if I open the trunk with the button in center compartment inside the car, it pops open the trunk . If I open trunk with key in keyhole everything works fine. If alarm is on/set and I open trunk with the key it will set of the car alarm. So should I assume that I need a new actuator/solenoid in the trunk. FOB seems to open and close car doors fine and set alarm normal. Only thing not happening is the opening trunk option at the present time.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try a new battery in your fob? I had issues like this with other cars when the fob battery got low it would lock, unlock, set alarm off by its self. Just and idea to check.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by lude92_si
Maybe try a new battery in your fob? I had issues like this with other cars when the fob battery got low it would lock, unlock, set alarm off by its self. Just and idea to check.
this is your next step! (did you get two remotes with the car? if so, does the other one open the trunk?)

if that doesn't solve it, then you likely have a remote going bad. (since the trunk actuator works with the center console push button, it's good---the remote sends the same electrical signal to the actuator as the push buton does)

if a new remote battery doesn't work, then open the remote and clean the contacts on the circuit board under the trunk button by lightly rubbing it with a pencil eraser. then put it back together and see if that works.

good luck
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Yes! I have two fobs but have not tested the other one. will take advise and perform these steps in the next few days. Thanks for your opinion. I will let you know what happens.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by lude92_si' timestamp='1404134707' post='23223710
this is your next step! (did you get two remotes with the car? if so, does the other one open the trunk?)

if that doesn't solve it, then you likely have a remote going bad. (since the trunk actuator works with the center console push button, it's good---the remote sends the same electrical signal to the actuator as the push buton does)

if a new remote battery doesn't work, then open the remote and clean the contacts on the circuit board under the trunk button by lightly rubbing it with a pencil eraser. then put it back together and see if that works.

good luck
Okay! I have tried the new and old FOB. The little red light lights up when I press trunk option with both fobs, but nothing happens related to opening the trunk lid . The light is strong on the remote of both FOB. No dim lights on the fobs. Will try cleaning process next. Any other ideas. SO the actuator is not bad?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 PM

One thing to check is whether the actuator has more than two wires coming into it.

If it has only two then It shouldn't be bad as it's designed to work when it receives an electric signal and it does that (when you push the trunk open button in the center console). The electrical signal that is supposed to go to it when you push the remote button would have to use the same two wires so that would mean the actuator is not getting an electrical signal from the remote receiver. (Or the remote receiver isn't getting a signal from the remote to send the current to the actuator)

If the actuator has more than two wires, then it's possible that two are for the console button (which work) and the other(s) are for the remote signal and the actuator may be getting the signal for that and not responding ---meaning it's bad.

Hope this makes sense!

Good luck---electrical problems are some of the most frustrating to track down!