S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trunk Lid Mis-Aligned

Old 01-09-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trunk Lid Mis-Aligned

Well, now I've done it. I Took Honda at their word and tried to put two golf carry bags in the trunk. Well, I guess I had bigger carry bags then Honda envisioned when they quoted that the trunk would carry two bags, because I was unsuccessful in squishing two carry bags into the trunk. Finally gave up and drove to the course, just a few miles away, with the trunk unlatched.

Got done with golf and since it was only a few miles home, and I didn't want to repeat the squish scenario, my buddy agreed to carry has clubs with him in the passenger seat.

Got home and noticed that I had squished a little too much and the passenger side of my trunk is mis-aligned slightly. The gap on the passenger side is a slightly bigger and the trunk lid is slightly higher than the quarter panel, while the driver side gap is slightly narrower and the trunk lid is a little lower than the quarter panel.

When I say slight, I mean I don't think you would notice it unless you were "really" looking for it. Of course I know it's there and it irritates me (to the point of giving me a sick feeling in my stomach) every time I think about what I did to my baby and of course every time I see it.

I don't think the lid is bent, just that I moved something or bent the trunk lid attachment arm/arms to the point of mis-alignment. Is there a way to adjust the trunk lid attachment points to get my trunk back in alignment?
Old 01-11-2003, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gloffer
[B]Well, now I've done it. I Took Honda at their word and tried to put two golf carry bags in the trunk. Well, I guess I had bigger carry bags then Honda envisioned when they quoted that the trunk would carry two bags, because I was unsuccessful in squishing two carry bags into the trunk. Finally gave up and drove to the course, just a few miles away, with the trunk unlatched.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:12 AM

Reverse the position of the golf bags in your trunk and then try "squishing" the lid down again .

Seriously, I'd first try a manual realignment. Just twist the trunk lid an bit in the opposite direction until it lines up again. I agree that you probably bent your support arms very slightly from the golf bag encounter, so unless you bend them back it really won't fit it properly.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the exact same problem only I have no idea what was the cause. My gap problem is also on the passenger side. I don't golf and I don't remember ever putting in anything big enough to "crush" the lid up. Nonetheless, my gap is slightly off on the right.

It's nice to have company on this problem. The body shop I use didn't see any simple adjustment. They mentioned "counterbending" the top but I didn't want them to so I just waited for Gloffer to get this problem so I'd have company.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:25 PM

Nice to have company Now we just need to figure out a fix. Thanks for the advice so far. I'll take a look at the attachment arms to see if there is anything obvious. I'll also play with the rubber thingys to see if that makes any difference. That would be too easy though.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:38 AM

The Service Manual on 20-76 shows how the trunk lid alignment is adjusted. For height at the rear and side edges, turn the trunk lid edge cushions in or out as necessary. The attachment bolts to the swing arm can also be loosened to allow left, right, forward and rear adjustment. Finally, "Adjust the fit between the trunk lid and truck lid opening by moving the striker."

I noticed my trunk lid was sitting higher on one side, and merely turning the the cushions solved that.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Prolene. We had a 60 deg Sunday afternoon here in Sheridan and I got started with the trunk lid instructions from you and spent the afternoon detailing my S2000 and my '93 Prelude VTEC. It was great fun and therapeutic.

Adjusting the rubber bumpers helped my lid a bit. I think there is slightly more curve in the right side of the lid than the left side. With gentle pressure I can push out some of the curve and make the fit perfect.

I'm guessing it happened when the upholderer installed my replacement soft top window or when the stereo shop installed my sub. No matter. It is very subile and more subtile since I messed with the bumpers.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Good to hear of your results, Barry.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:42 PM

ahh, thnx al for finding the proper name for the rubber thingys.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 AM

My apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead but I've adjusted the cushions and replaced my right trunk hinge but still have a minor gap on the right side. What else could be causing this problem? Thanks a lot guys.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid Mis-Aligned