S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trouble starting with new head build

Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting with new head build

So before my car starts up perfectly fine until the head gasket went out so i brought the head to get it resurfaced, and they took off a good amount but its still well within specs, I also bought the spoon sports head gasket to go with this as well.

Well ive installed everything and it started right up the first time, went for a drive no knocking, no cel, nothing..got home shut off the car..next day came out and tried to start the car but it wont start, it keeps trying to start like ill be cranking and the cars rpm will jump to about 200-300 and keeps studdering around that range.

NOW the tricky thing is if i unplug the fuel injectors and go start the car, itll start right up with no hesitation but then dies since ive just unpluged the injectors so i just basicle burnt off the excess fuel......Once ive done that I can plug the injectors back in and the car starts right up fine..until i shut it off of course then the whole process has to be done again.

any idea on what it could be? i dont have any CELs...ima 00 with intake exhaust but i dont think thats it since it started up great with those mods before.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you reset the ecu?

BTW...I've seen this behavior in other cars when the cam timing is not right...you sure the cams were re-installed correctly?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaky injectors? Maybe the car's getting flooded.

Do you have an OBD-II datalogger? Maybe the car is reading something that tells it to run rich.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:10 AM

Some things I would do are:
a) Double check all the harness connections, timing marks, sensor mounting.
b)Get a hold of a OBD II scan tool and oscilliscope and check all sensor inputs and sine waves.
c)Use a stethascope and listen to the injectors fire.
d)Use a DMM and check resistance of injectors. Maybee the injectors are stuck in the open position causing them to bleed down?
You can check your fuel pressure after you prime the system with the engine off.. Hopefully it is holding untill the drivers tell the injectors to fire.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:55 AM

Im thinking more of the injectors since it starts within a split second after flushing the cylinders. Ill check the injectors and get back. but as the obd thing i dont have a fulll scan just a regular handheld that tells you what codes ur popping.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

It's not cam timing. One tooth off on the s2k, the engine will not sync/run.

Did you hook up the ground wire on the back of the head?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:25 PM

I don't understand running with the injectors disconnected. Do our injectors open (dump their fuel) when you turn off the key? Then maybe the car runs for a moment til that fuel is gone, but the injectors don't supply any more?

Conjecture on my part.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Longshot maybe but when the engine is cold, re-torque the head. Even though you have a new gasket installed wouldn't mean you couldn't have a leak. The bulk of the block would allow for it to remain cooler longer than the head. Expansion contraction may have led to some loose bolts. Easy and worth a try.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

There is no way a properly torqued head bolt is coming loose.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 PM

Sounds like a fuel problem to me...The same thing kinda happened when I blew a head gasket on my SI...After I got the head back, it would run and then shut off due to 2 bad fuel injector gaskets

Quick Reply: Trouble starting with new head build