S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trouble starting car in cold weather? anyone else?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting car in cold weather? anyone else?

I've had my s2000 for about 7 years now. Ever since I have owned the car it has trouble starting in cold weather. Under 30 degrees F or so... It will start up, run for a few seconds then die, then i'll go ahead and start it back up and it runs just fine. Anyone else have this problem? Ive started getting misfire codes in the past few months, changed out the plugs this week and it seems to have taken care of the issue. Other than that the car runs excellent... only 65k
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM

I experience the same thing too on extremely cold weather days in NM & CO. Only thing I can think is the IAC doesn't kick in fast enough before the car bogs down due to bad blow-by/piston slap after the starter gets the ignition going. Never had any misfiring codes or other issues, and after starting it a second time it comes on like nothing ever happened.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in Chicago.

I purchased my 04 in July 2012 of with 7,600 miles on the odometer, flawless condition. With that said since it did have all original parts (completely oem) I was testing my luck with the battery- sure enough, a month ago it had longer starts and finally died on me. Hooray for oem panasonic battery. Since then I replaced it with a 550CCA battery (Duralast I think?). Lately here I think the average temperatures have been about 10-25 degrees F, it does take slightly longer to start (sadly my car is parked outside my house on the curved driveway, garages are full).. but it still fires up. Thankfully my old oem battery didn't die on me in this current weather. But back on topic, no I have never had this issue you're describing at the moment.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i have had the same issue.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM

it happened to me for the first time the other day in 5 years of ownership...it sat for about 3 days in below 30 degree weather did exactly what you described when i finally tried to start it up...im fairly certain its normal...fired up just fine on the second go around...i think it has something to do with how high the compression of the motor is combined with the cold
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My car does the same thing. And the starter sticks when it's cold lol. I've read before that it's all in the ECU, because it's a "learning" ECU. Before I read up on it, I would pump the gas before starting the car and it seemed to help a little bit, but quit doing it after reading that the consensus was to let the car do it's thing.
Usually what happens with my car, it starts up, hangs at about 500rpm, rumbles like it's only on two cylinders, sounding like a Subaru, and most of the time dies. Starts right back up like nothing happened lol. 10% of the time, after shaking for a few seconds, will fire up to 2,000 rpm(cold idle) and everything will be fine.

One thing you might try is wait a little longer for the fuel pump to pressurize. After I turn the key on, I wait for the seatbelt warning to beep all the way through, wait another five seconds, and then start the car. Seems to make a little bit of a difference :/
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same exact things here, sometimes i have to tap the starter a bit with a metal pipe. Seems kind of a common problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Common if not running factory specified 5W-30 oil in the engine. Not a problem in warmer temp zones.

Utah
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reply from Durango, CO.

My '01 S2K with newer battery and 34K one owner miles has been in the garage since early December, as it is not good in snow. I started it up today. She started right up but ran rough for about 10 seconds. Then ran smoothly as I drove it (as the roads are temporarily snow free here).
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Glad to hear this isn't just me and not an issue. Mine garages at home but at work sitting in lately 10 to 20 degrees it does this if its any more then like 8 hours. I've learned when its cold like that to rev it few times (not real high) just few quick taps like to 3500 before it has chance to die. Enough to warm it up I guess. Did have one day though it was out for awhile in 0 degree temp and even doin that it still died.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting car in cold weather? anyone else?