S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trouble shifting into 5th gear - shifter over travels to the right

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shifting into 5th gear - shifter over travels to the right

Hi guys,

Just bought a 01' ap1 with 92K miles. Pretty much stock except for intake and headers.

I'm noticing that the shifter over travels from neutral going straight right. So much so that if I push all the way to the right (without pushing it down/into reverse), and then go up, the shifter doesn't budge. I have to come 1-2 cm back left after hitting the farthest right limit to be able to push up into 5th.

I feel it will be inconsistent/unreliable getting into 5th gear in a performance situation. Could potentially be dangerous.

What's odd is going into 6th is exactly what I expect. Push all the way to the right, push all the way down.

Let me know what you think. Very much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 AM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I have had the stick in my model year 2000 travel to the right of 5th a couple of times. Never heard anyone else mention this before. I have no idea what the explanation for this would be.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by The King
I have had the stick in my model year 2000 travel to the right of 5th a couple of times. Never heard anyone else mention this before. I have no idea what the explanation for this would be.
Yeah it's pretty fascinating. Have driven many other MT cars and never seen this behavior before. Don't know if I should take apart the shifter assembly and try to fix it. This over travel definitely isn't stock/intended, correct?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

All the shifter mechanism is inside the trans. So no easy fix if its that.

One thing it could be, on the end of the shifter, there is a plastic piece that forms a sort of spherical rod end, where the end of the shifter is a metal ball, the pastic piece goes over that. That plastic piece is then the interface to shifter mechanism (inside the trans).

Its easy enough to remove console top, remove shifter, then you can inspect this plastic piece. Maybe its damaged, in such a way it cuases your symptoms. I think its very plausible.

Follow the diy for lube shifter, except you'll also inspect, and perhaps replace, the plastic piece. Warm the plastic up to help remove/install.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Oh that's a great idea. Let me check on that plastic piece sometime this week.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

When you remove the white plastic ring use a flathead screwdriver and gently pry in the direction the arrows point. Guaranteed to remove it without breaking it.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has the trans fluid ever been changed? I got my car with 119k and the actual shifter would stick down like I was pushing to go into reverse and cause me to go to the right. All I did was change the trans fluid which was who knows how old and everything fixed itself within first twenty miles. I changed it again a. Month later just to ensure I got all the old gunk out and haven't had the issue since then and it's been three years.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 PM

Update: flushed out tranny fluid last night. Symptom still persists. Although shifting feels amazing 1-4 now
I'll probably take a few hours this weekend and look at the plastic piece on the end of the shifter. Stay tuned.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Advice. Just buy the plastic piece first, before disassembly (unless your car is parked for winter). Its only like $10 or so. This way you dont have to put it back together, only to take it apart again once you get the part.

Also, if no obvious damage or wear, and you dont replace it, will always wonder if it really was worn and you couldnt tell, and this is causing symptom.

Just replace it.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Advice. Just buy the plastic piece first, before disassembly (unless your car is parked for winter). Its only like $10 or so. This way you dont have to put it back together, only to take it apart again once you get the part.

Also, if no obvious damage or wear, and you dont replace it, will always wonder if it really was worn and you couldnt tell, and this is causing symptom.

Just replace it.

Good call... how do I get a hold of that part? Is there somewhere I can look at a shifter assembly breakdown and get a part number? I live in Pittsburgh, is this something I can get in a shop or I have to order online?

Sorry for all the questions, just starting to get into wrenching on my own cars so this is all new to me.

Good advice caranalogy

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting into 5th gear - shifter over travels to the right