S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trouble getting into 1st & reverse (and with my CAPSLOCK key)

Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting into 1st & reverse (and with my CAPSLOCK key)

Im having a couple of problems. I cannot put my car into reverse. I've put some muscle into it and wouldn't budge. I could push it down and move it right, but it wouldn't pull back. The other problem is shifting to first gear. First is the toughest gear to shift into. It's as if I have to jiggle it into place. Other than that, shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 is easier, but still not normal.

Anyone know what is wrong, and if so what is a solution?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam i am
Im having a couple of problems. I cannot put my car into reverse. I've put some muscle into it and wouldn't budge. I could push it down and move it right, but it wouldn't pull back. The other problem is shifting to first gear. First is the toughest gear to shift into. It's as if I have to jiggle it into place. Other than that, shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 is easier, but still not normal.

Test
1. turn off car - can you shift then? If no, then it's tranny related.
2. hows your clutch pedal feel? if you can shift with car off, clutch is probably not disengaging/is dragging. Clutch bleed and pedal rod will probably need to be adjusted.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check fork travel, may be issue with hydraulics.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by drobinson1692
Originally Posted by sam i am' timestamp='1373837326' post='22665419

Test
1. turn off car - can you shift then? If no, then it's tranny related.
2. hows your clutch pedal feel? if you can shift with car off, clutch is probably not disengaging/is dragging. Clutch bleed and pedal rod will probably need to be adjusted.
+1
It's not your tranny if you can shift through all the gears when the car is off. If it's an issue only when the car is on (as I have experienced before) then it is clutch or clutch related. it is either your clutch and/or clutch assembly or your clutch hydraulics and you may need to bleed or adjust it.
I had an issue with my mustang gt being really difficult shifting into first and then that progressed to all the other gears eventually and i ended up needing a new clutch. Brand new clutch fixed the problem immediately. That was one experience where i needed a new clutch but the clutch was not slipping.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM

I can shift through gears when my car is off. Its not perfectly smooth it is a little clicky.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM

It shouldnt matter whether the car is on or off. A manual transmission is simply a gear box full of oil. Your clutch is not disengaging enough to allow the syncros to let go of the current gear and move into another. Does the pedal feel softer than usual? I had this issue as have many members here in the past. The master cylinder for the clutch goes out. On occasion the slave cylinder as well. Those are the only two parts associated with releasing the clutch and allowing you to smoothly change gears.

As another test for you, get 2 quarts of HONDA MTF fluid and change the manual trans fluid. Check for any shards of metal...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
It shouldnt matter whether the car is on or off. A manual transmission is simply a gear box full of oil. Your clutch is not disengaging enough to allow the syncros to let go of the current gear and move into another. Does the pedal feel softer than usual? I had this issue as have many members here in the past. The master cylinder for the clutch goes out. On occasion the slave cylinder as well. Those are the only two parts associated with releasing the clutch and allowing you to smoothly change gears.

As another test for you, get 2 quarts of HONDA MTF fluid and change the manual trans fluid. Check for any shards of metal...
Well, my clutch pedal does feel a bit softer. If I push it with my thumb, I can get it about 80% of the way down. The other 20% is more resistant and I have to use my foot. Some other problems I have noticed are the leak behind my clutch pedal (im guessing thats the master cylinder?). SO do you think the problem is with the clutch not disengaging enough to shift to the next gear smoothly?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sam i am
Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1373946605' post='22668156

Well, my clutch pedal does feel a bit softer. If I push it with my thumb, I can get it about 80% of the way down. The other 20% is more resistant and I have to use my foot. Some other problems I have noticed are the leak behind my clutch pedal (im guessing thats the master cylinder?). SO do you think the problem is with the clutch not disengaging enough to shift to the next gear smoothly?
That's your problem right there. There isn't enough hydraulic pressure in the system to fully disengage the clutch. I'd suggest replacing the cmc and slave.

Ninja edit: FIRST check what your fluid level is before spending money on parts. If it's low because of the leak, replace the fluid and see what happens.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Originally Posted by sam i am' timestamp='1374004241' post='22669573
[quote name='BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1373946605' post='22668156']

That's your problem right there. There isn't enough hydraulic pressure in the system to fully disengage the clutch. I'd suggest replacing the cmc and slave.

Ninja edit: FIRST check what your fluid level is before spending money on parts. If it's low because of the leak, replace the fluid and see what happens.
[/quote]

yep thats your problem. Replace the MC and slave cylinder while you are at it. Takes about an hour