S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

tried to launch, uh oh

Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tried to launch, uh oh

so i dropped the clutch at about 6k...rpm immediately shot up to 9k through first and second gear, i was thinking wtf? tires did not move at all!!

did this about 45 min ago and it STILL smells. the car drives the same though.

ive searched and found a few people mention this as something REALLY BAD to do...wtf happened?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 PM

So tires didn't move at all? RPMS shot but no tire movement?

In Neutral? Take foot off clutch? .... just kidding

Just want to clear up about the no tire movement... does this mean when you let out the clutch in gear nothing responded?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:58 PM

yea, i know i was completely off the clutch because i shifted and the same thing happened. RPM jumped all the way up and could smell the clutch smoking, actually the smell has penetrated from my garage into my house.

searched a little more and found that a lot of new S2k drivers do this when trying to launch the first few times?

what is this thing called "glazing?"
Old 05-28-2005, 01:19 AM

Sound like u took a couple of years of ur clutch
Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

You just burned up some clutch - it's likely there was no damage done. The clutch springs on the stock S2K aren't the stiffest in the world, but that's better than tearing up your differential.

Like Honda_Mad says, you probably took a few years of life out of your clutch. If you notice in the future that your clutch slips much easier than it used to, then it is possible that you glazed your clutch. A glazed clutch has a smooth, shiny surface on it that reduces the coefficient of friction, therefore causing it to slip. The pressure plate surface is also smooth. To fix the problem, you would need to scuff up both surfaces, which would require dropping the tranny.

I smoked a clutch on another car years ago (manual trannies aren't the best for pulling boat trailers out of the water), and it didn't glaze my clutch. But the stench hung around for quite a while.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv98,May 28 2005, 12:13 AM
so i dropped the clutch
One possibility: You may "think" you dropped the clutch. I'll bet you didn't. Any hesitation in this process will not allow the clutch to engage fast enough. "Dropping" the clutch means you can lift your foot from the clutch pedal FASTER than the spring can make it come up to the top.

Another possibility: You had "worked" your clutch pretty hard and heated it up badly prior to your "clutch drop" attempt. A badly heated up clutch will not hold well even if you "dropped the clutch".
Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This post is a perfect justification for never, never, never buying a used sports car - new only to make sure no one ever treated the car this way!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:10 AM

i agree!!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:41 AM

No, no. I did the same thing when I first got the S two years ago. It just glazes the clutch surface. It will be fine, just smell for a couple of days. If the clutch had caught, the tires didnt spin then you'd have a f'd up rear end, but I think you'll be fine as my car runs great to this day. I was racing a F355 when I tried it with my clutch. Needless to say, he smoked me
Old 05-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,May 28 2005, 08:33 AM
This post is a perfect justification for never, never, never buying a used sports car - new only to make sure no one ever treated the car this way!
haha, that is the reason why i cannot buy a supra or 300ZX TT, because theyre so ragged out after so many years.

see it as an opportunity for upgrades!

Quick Reply: tried to launch, uh oh