S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tricked by Dealer on diff fluid change?

Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricked by Dealer on diff fluid change?

Took the car to the dealership to have the s-02's put back on and to have tranny, diff, and engine oil swapped out for the spring. I took the qt of LE diff oil (recommended by Road Rage, sold at Rick's now) with me to have them use, and the service writer was incredulous as to why I would want so stiff an oil. I told him that 90w was what Honda recommended but he didn't believe me. I told him to use it anyway. About an hour and a half later he comes to the waiting area where I am sitting and tells me that I didn't bring enough oil, that it takes 2 qts, but that the tech had already drained the diff. He said he wouldn't recommend mixing the oils, and asked if they could just put in their stuff instead. Not knowing what else to say, I said sure whatever (I was tired and ready to get home at that point). Every post I read on here says that it takes just UNDER 1qt though for the diff? Was I bamboozeled or what just happened? Why would they have such a problem using my oil?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 PM

Well, the tranny takes about 2 quarts. I wonder if they put it in there? I don't personally know if it will screw anything up getting LE 607 on the synchros, but you might check.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:09 PM

Do you have your honda owners manual? Its suppose to be about .8 of a quart. Bring the manual with you and then verify the grade oil they used. Have them put everything down on their records in detail.

You got tricked.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 PM

i hadn't considered that, but it was in their notes that i specified it for the diff. hmm...
Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Diff takes less than a qt. Tranny takes less than 2 qts. If they put diff fluid in the tranny, you'll be needing a new tranny soon. Diff fluid + tranny = a BAD thing.
If they put the WRONG Honda fluid in the diff (as some people have had done), you will be needing a new diff soon. Honda CRV or Pilot diff fluid + S2000 diff = a BAD thing.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:47 AM

don't they normally put 75-90w in the diff? is that what you are referring to xviper?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:56 AM

Most Honda dealers are clueless about our diff. Lack of experience with this type of dif that requires a hypoid gear oil to protect the Ring & Pinion. The fluids they are familair with for the SUVs are way to thin and will not properly lubricate and protect our diff. I personnally changed my own diff fluid and I know that 1 quart is enough. As already said it's about .8 of a quart the extra allows a bit of a flush. 1 Quart will work!!! If they did put any sort of diff oil in your tranny it may damage the yellow ( soft) metals in the transmission. I would not drive the car much, only back to the dealer and demand that they install your fluid in the rear, insatll honda Manual tramsmission fluid in the tranny , drive it a day and make then change it AGAIN to insure it's flushed. And I would DEMAND a refund of the original charges. Then I would suggest the service manager send his techs back to the service manual to read it. I would also try to get them to document their error if indeed there is one so that if you developproblems with either component you can try to hold them accountable. Most dealers just don't have the experience with our car. I recommend you go elsewhere for future service. good luck
Old 04-12-2004, 04:02 AM

^^ agree

At this point you realy don't know what the hell is in your diff or tranny. Better flush and start from scratch with proper fluids in the proper place.

I'm curious, does your paperwork state what fluids they put in? Also be interesting to see what oil filter they used..
Old 04-12-2004, 04:22 AM

As a rep for Lubrication Engineers (607) let me state the following. DO NOT USE 607 IN YOUR MANUAL TRANNY. The 607 is only to be used in your rear. We are currently looking at the proper fluid for your tranny's. All tranny fluids will be tested by road rage for approval before we offer the products to you. The only LE products approved at this time are 607-rear end, 8130-15W30 motor oil, and 8530-5W30 motor oil.

Hope this helped.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tesseract
don't they normally put 75-90w in the diff?

Quick Reply: Tricked by Dealer on diff fluid change?