S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TRANSMISSION TRAGEDY

Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy TRANSMISSION TRAGEDY

so. . . for some strange reason i lack the mechanical ability to loosen 2 simple bolts propery to drain my transmission oil. i actually managed to get both the fill and drain bolt on, but ran into some difficulty putting the fill bolt back in. i hand threaded the bolts and torqued them down to spec, but when i tried to torque the fill bolt back in it kept spinning for some reason. . . so after a turn or so i decided to take it back out and call my honda dealer. maybe theres some washer missing . . . that wasnt on the car when i took it off !! turns out theres a washer thats supposed to go in there so i went to the dealership got the washer and came back to finish the job. . . but its doing the same damn thing so i got it as tight as itll go and im taking it into the dealer tommarro. i feel like my manhood has been stripped from my soul as i cant seem to handle a simple task on my own.
ps i hope the remedy isnt a new transmission for a stripped thread. . . which it doesnt look or feel like a stripped thread i hope i have enough balls left to know what those feel like.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:37 PM

oh yeah. . . forgot this was UTH and i needed a mechanical question. any thoughts as to what this might set me back or possible fixes
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Nah...they'll just retap it...it'll require a transmission flush to get the metal shavings out later. You'll be alright.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM

thank god. . . . i really dont think i got any shavings in the oil but im sure theyll swap it out for piece of mind. better a few $ on oil than a few thousand on a tranny.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM

No man, I'm saying that metal shavings from retapping the tranny are going to fall into the tranny and it should be flushed afterward.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

shadwsndst Posted on Oct 27 2006, 05:29 AM
i hand threaded the bolts and torqued them down to spec,
33 lbf/ft for the filler plug and 29 lbf/ft for the drain plug right?

Without the washer, the bolt may have gone through too much leaving only one or two treads in contact... making it easy to strip the threads in the transmission.
Even at the correct torque.

Or the previous owner / dealer messed up.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'd probably heli-coil it. I keep sets around for fixing stuff like that. I'm not sure how they're going to flush the tranny without taking it out. To be honest, I'm, not sure some aluminum shavings will hurt that much. It's not like the tranny has the same tight tolerances the engine does.

I'm not saying shavings are good, I'm just suggesting they aren't as critical as they would be in a motor. Steel shavings on the other hand would be death.

I once drilled a 1.5" hole in the side of an automatic transmission so I could install a speedometer gear. I got as many shaving as I could out of it but, I couldn't get them all. It ran for another 50K miles before I junked the car.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:11 AM

yeah all torqued down to the right #'s except that the fill just kept spinning. . . appearently the drain bolt has a washer on there too. well its supposed too at least. it went on and tightened with no problem. i didnt see/ read about a crush washer in the DIY guide on here either. usually xviper tells you to make sure the washer is facing in the proper direction, like in the oil change thread. so i didnt think i needed one. live and learn i suppose.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Yes, both the transmission drain and fill bolts have a washer.

and just as an FYI, the differential also has washers for the drain and fill bolt.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM

well. . . the good ol' people at family honda say its a new transmission case for a round sum of $1350 so i say poor some locktite in that bitch and see how it holds up worse comes to worse.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION TRAGEDY