S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission stuck in reverse. Help!

Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission stuck in reverse. Help!

Hello all,

im fairly new to the s2000. I changed my engine oil yesterday and all was good. This morning when I went to back out of my driveway while In reverse the car just stops out of no where like it’s getting stuck in reverse. Is this normal or is there somthing I can look at to fix the issue. Thanks in advance! It was such a nice day out today .
Old 05-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

So the car will not come out of reverse? Or while reversing, the car stops suddenly? Does the transmission go to neutral and other gears?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Reverse lockout stuck maybe?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:40 PM

The car stops while Reversing. I’m able to change gears fine. I’ve never heard of the reverse lockout. How can I fix that or check?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Out of curiosity, did you chock any of your wheels when changing the engine oil?
Old 05-27-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by KrazyKarl
Out of curiosity, did you chock any of your wheels when changing the engine oil?

No I didn’t chock the wheels. I only jacked up the car from the passenger side. Both passages side wheels were in the air and both drivers on the ground. Could that have messed with the transmission? Also had the ebrake ok
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK just making sure, sometimes we think of the worst scenario and forget the obvious. Lifting one side on its own should not be an issue, I have been doing that for years when swapping wheels.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by KrazyKarl
OK just making sure, sometimes we think of the worst scenario and forget the obvious. Lifting one side on its own should not be an issue, I have been doing that for years when swapping wheels.
I spoke to a local expert he stated it could be the diff. I will try to change the diff fluid tomorrow. I checked earlier and the car is still doing it, just to clarify its while in reverse the car suddenly stops and will not go anywhere unless i put it back in 1st than i can go back into reverse but again the car stops again.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

This is exceptionally strange. The transmission is a direct unit so no linkage... Reverse lock out stuck as mentioned by acmoc is possible. Any transmission issues prior? Blown reverse does not seem likely unless previous owner or you were racing in reverse extremely hard.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by EffWun
This is exceptionally strange. The transmission is a direct unit so no linkage... Reverse lock out stuck as mentioned by acmoc is possible. Any transmission issues prior? Blown reverse does not seem likely unless previous owner or you were racing in reverse extremely hard.
Absolutely no previous issues at all. I’m going to change the diff fluid today and go from there. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Also the car has 134k it’s an ap2 just recently purchased. I’m not sure when the last time the diff fluid was changed.