S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission shift lever

Old 08-07-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Transmission shift lever

I can't tell by looking at the shop manual. I can say without a doubt mine is and I wanted to verify the kink in the shaft is normal (when viewed with the boot off).
Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Aug 7 2004, 12:59 PM
I can't tell by looking at the shop manual. I can say without a doubt mine is and I wanted to verify the kink in the shaft is normal (when viewed with the boot off).
I know that many of you early owners popped off the black plastic center console to install one of Rick's leather covers. Did anyone take a good look at their shifter? If I just had another S2000 here it would only take me a couple minutes to look.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The lever is a larger diameter at the bottom of the lever than the top. Every shifter that I've ever removed when pulling the transmission has been straight. Or at least straight to the naked eye.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 PM

The upper portion of the shaft (thin/threaded) appears vertical in natural (using a 90 degree triangle to check it) but the lower thick portion is clearly not vertical but angled as if to compensate for a tilted transmission. I just tried to post a couple pictures. They reportedly uploaded ok but all I am seeing is a red x; so I think the site may still some software issues.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you been the only owner since new? Is there any possibility that someone before you put in a "short shifter". I understand that those ones were for the Japanese car and the stick bends and points to the right where their drivers sit.

Try posting the red X anyway. Maybe we can click on it and see something in the properties. Can you see them in your album? Did you make it visible to everyone or keep it private? Did you try to put them into your post using the box below the reply box (not the fast reply)? The thumbnails should show up when you "choose and album". Then you just click on the thumbnail you want in your post.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 9 2004, 12:38 AM
Have you been the only owner since new? Is there any possibility that someone before you put in a "short shifter". I understand that those ones were for the Japanese car and the stick bends and points to the right where their drivers sit.

Try posting the red X anyway. Maybe we can click on it and see something in the properties. Can you see them in your album? Did you make it visible to everyone or keep it private? Did you try to put them into your post using the box below the reply box (not the fast reply)? The thumbnails should show up when you "choose and album". Then you just click on the thumbnail you want in your post.
David,

I'm the original owner and it only had 21 miles on the OD (due to a dealership exchange between MI and OH).

I can not view my uploads in my own album; I've made the admin aware of it in a couple different threads but it sounds like I'm not alone.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Aug 8 2004, 11:19 PM
David,

I'm the original owner and it only had 21 miles on the OD (due to a dealership exchange between MI and OH).

I can not view my uploads in my own album; I've made the admin aware of it in a couple different threads but it sounds like I'm not alone.

Well, there goes the theory about the short shifter.

I can see two of the same pictures of you sitting in your car at the bottom of your post though.
I think Yogi is currently working on some of the photo album glitches. He was going through it yesterday and asked me how my pics were working out. Mine are working fine.

Check your PM and email them to me. Maybe I can put them up for you for now.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:27 AM

Email with photos sent. The funny thing about my photos and all the red x's that I now see scattered among other good photos in various threads is . . . it all started when I paid my dues recently! It must be due to some setting that was activated when I joined again. Perhaps I should ask for my money back.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Aug 9 2004, 07:27 AM
Email with photos sent. The funny thing about my photos and all the red x's that I now see scattered among other good photos in various threads is . . . it all started when I paid my dues recently! It must be due to some setting that was activated when I joined again. Perhaps I should ask for my money back.
Get a hold of yogi. He's pretty busy with lots of stuff but he might get a moment to look into you album situation.
Here are your two pics:

Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 AM

David, thanks for posting the pictures.

Harry Cash, just replaced his transmission over the weekend, and emailed me to say he hopes the kink is normal because he has it also. I suspected it was normal. It's not something you would see with the boot on but I always felt when shifting especially into 3rd that something was odd and I think it's the effect of the offset. Even with the boot off, the offset is not something you quickly notice.

Quick Reply: Transmission shift lever