S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission related problems

Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission related problems

Hi everyone.
My car(00, 106K) is still making a clunking sound after fully warm up while idling after transmission been changed with a 05 transmission. It sounds like something is contacting a case(most likely, it is still the transmission making the sound. It was making the same sound before but louder.)

Meanwhile, at high speed, while maintaining throttle, the car is making a horrible vibration from mid to back. It is mostly noticeable when slowly releasing throttle. There would be a clear range that car will shake. Not acceleration nor deceleration. This is worse after switched to this transmission. It seems to be speed related, the higher speed, the more severe shake. It was noticeable from 65+. But now, it will happen from 90+, and more severe.

After driving the car home(about 1hr drive). I couldn't start the car. It was not cranking and the dash-light dimmed. Starter was replaced six months ago. Battery was 80% healthy when replacing the starter. This happens before I took it to the shop for replacing the trans as well. My drive way has a small slope. I usually park my car in 1st or 2nd gear and no handbrake. And every morning before taking it to the shop, it was hard to move the trans out of gear after the clutch being depressed. It's like the clutch pedal not being depressed. The shifter is on load. I have to push it out. AND the car won't start. I will have to put the shifter in gear again. And release the clutch. Then depress it. It will start. If it was left on the slope for a short period of time, it will start fine. But now, it is just not starting immediately after shutting it off on a level ground.

Thanks in advance for everyone reading it through and providing any advice. The shop is 1hr from where I live. And i don't want to drive back and forth. I wanna gather some opinions before going to the shop.

Here are my thoughts. Since the vibration exists before and after switching the transmission, I am thinking it might be the driveshaft and drive-axles off the balance.(just a thought, they don't appear to be damaged last time i check) the vibration is more severe than an imbalanced tire. And not pitted CV cup/joint(it only happens when maintaining the throttle). I have no idea what the clunking sound is. Combined with the hard to start, I am thinking it might be clutch/flywheel related. All new honda flywheel, PP and disk were replaced along with previous transmission.

Thank you.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Seems like a variety of different potential problems. Battery, starter, tranny, maybe clutch, driveshaft...

JOC, why did you feel you needed the tranny replaced? Maybe, the first thing to do is go back to where this was done. Could be an installation boo-boo is causing some of your problems.

Almost like you need a very good major maintenance. Sorry about that. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Seems like a variety of different potential problems. Battery, starter, tranny, maybe clutch, driveshaft...

JOC, why did you feel you needed the tranny replaced? Maybe, the first thing to do is go back to where this was done. Could be an installation boo-boo is causing some of your problems.

Almost like you need a very good major maintenance. Sorry about that. Good luck!
it was having gear chattering and clutch slipping. So, a new clutch and a transmission was needed. Clunking sound, vibration and couldn't start comes after this installation.
Yeah, seems like so. I will see what happens. I don't have time to bother with this right now. i will just keep driving it until it breaks.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

What do you think caused the gear chattering? You sure this wasn't clutch chattering? You may not have needed a new tranny. Just a WAG.

Anyhow, vibrations and clunking maybe driveshaft/CV joint issues. Perhaps caused during re-installation. Restart problem maybe a ground wire or other wiring issue.

I'd take the car back to the mechanic.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:36 PM

That I am not sure. I am not familiar with the clutch chattering. The gear chattering I am referring to sounds like "hard, metal to metal" chattering while taking off(it's when it's the most obvious)

Around noon, today, i couldn't start the car again. I pumped the clutch continuously, at least four times, while the gear in neutral. Then it starts fine. Wired, isn't it?

Does this indicating something?

i am thinking flywheel might be off the center. but flywheel is not possible to be loose, right?

I will take it back to the shop within the next few days, where my car has been siting for two weeks waiting for the trans. damn.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by warrenihad
That I am not sure. I am not familiar with the clutch chattering. The gear chattering I am referring to sounds like "hard, metal to metal" chattering while taking off(it's when it's the most obvious)

Around noon, today, i couldn't start the car again. I pumped the clutch continuously, at least four times, while the gear in neutral. Then it starts fine. Wired, isn't it?

Does this indicating something?

i am thinking flywheel might be off the center. but flywheel is not possible to be loose, right?

I will take it back to the shop within the next few days, where my car has been siting for two weeks waiting for the trans. damn.
I am reading the other post in this forum about the engine lock up and runs great
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/113...t/page__st__50
Before putting this clutch in(OEM Honda), It was a stage 2, before that. it was a stage 4.

Guess my thrust bearing is going. Damn.