S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission problems

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flushed the transmission and differential today with Amsoil 5w-30 in the trans and 75w110 in the diff. After driving home from my friends house I could tell the shifting between gears is noticeably better than before. It is still notchy going into reverse when I first start my car but once I get it in some other gear, it pops in with ease. My 2-3 shift is nothing like it was before. Ill see how this works but for now I wont be driving much till I get a new o2 sensor swapped in and adjust my valves this coming weekend.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

You used Amsoil MTL (5w30) tranny fluid, not Amsoil 5w30 engine oil correct ?. Just checking as some people have used engine oil in their trannies and it doesn't work so well.

Good to hear that you've made good progress since your first post.

That reverse gear issue is not uncommon on this car, or any manual car really, it can happen. Double clutching when coming out of a forward gear is my best advice on that, or selecting an alternate gear like you have done.

Try double clutching some time and see how it compares - if you are in 1st gear or any other forward gear, with the clutch pedal pushed down pull the shifter to neutral, release the clutch pedal fully in neutral, then push the clutch pedal down again while in neutral and try to put the shifter into reverse.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
You used Amsoil MTL (5w30) tranny fluid, not Amsoil 5w30 engine oil correct ?. Just checking as some people have used engine oil in their trannies and it doesn't work so well.

That reverse gear issue is not uncommon on this car, or any manual car really, it can happen. Double clutching when coming out of a forward gear is my best advice on that, or selecting an alternate gear like you have done.

Try double clutching some time and see how it compares - if you are in 1st gear or any other forward gear, with the clutch pedal pushed down pull the shifter to neutral, release the clutch pedal fully in neutral, then push the clutch pedal down again while in neutral and try to put the shifter into reverse.
Of course "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30" is what I used in the transmission and "Severe Gear® 75W-110" in the diff.

Prior to today I had been doubleclutching my 2-3 shift since it was notching and sometimes grinding. I didnt have to do that today, but once I get the other stuff fixed I will be able to test it out some more.

Im happy that things are slowly getting better with it and that I have had help from you guys.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1388979065' post='22951312

Of course "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30" is what I used in the transmission and "Severe Gear® 75W-110" in the diff.

Prior to today I had been doubleclutching my 2-3 shift since it was notching and sometimes grinding. I didnt have to do that today, but once I get the other stuff fixed I will be able to test it out some more.

Im happy that things are slowly getting better with it and that I have had help from you guys.
oh good to hear, Amsoil tranny fluid is good stuff , I would try it out myself but my tranny is working so well I'm afraid to make any changes at this time.

With the double clutching recommendation, I was suggesting to do it in regards to your reverse gear issue. Double clutching when going from a forward gear to reverse can sometimes help with a stubborn reverse gear issue. The other option is to put it in a different forward gear like you have been doing. Good luck going forward