S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission problems

Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I still think you have air in your flluid. You need to get it out.
This
Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
I adjusted the clutch rod about 6/8s of a full turn clockwise, and drove to the autostore to get some brake fluid. I then syphoned out the reservoir and filled it after wiping the gunk out. I pumped the clutch a few times and did it again and it was much cleaner, but I have a feeling I need to drive it around some and then do it again a few times before it is completely cleaned out.

All in all I *think* it feels better and shifts smoother. It still was notchy and what not when I started it up and pulled out of the garage. I haven't driven it yet after the clutch fluid refilling/cleaning since it started to rain but I will before my family function today.

If it still isn't feeling right then I am going to have a buddy help with the transmission fluid change tomorrow.
Yeah you are going to find that it will likely need cleaning and new fluid again in a few weeks down the road, a second fluid change will help.

With all of the adjustments we recommended you should feel incremental improvements each time. The fluid change should help next.

One other note, these trannies don't like slow lazy shifts, they tend to shift better at higher rpms, sometimes you need to find the sweet spot for certain gears and shifts. Good luck going forward.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM

all good advice^ I have ap1 with notchy third. I find double clutch works best. So press clutch then move out of current gear move to neutral release clutch then depress again to move to next gear. Way smoother at any rpm and any shift speeds slow or fast shifting. Takes practice but can be done just as fast as normal. People will argue you use up clutch faster for me smooth is better try it.

My shifts are smooth as butter no notch or grind after using the double clutch method.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double clutching up into 3rd works fine, but the regular 2-3 shift is still notchy unless I shift it above 5k rpm.

I think we may swap my clutch fluid today instead of the transmission refill because everything is closed today. Plus my friend wants to put redline shockproof lightweight into the transmission. I read to not use that. On the other hand we used to use that fluid in our subaru impreza rs'.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:40 AM

I dont think the redline fluid would be a problem its worth a try I have it in my s right now works good I'm gonna try Honda fluid next to determine what I like best.. Keep on it! Getting pedal play out and fluid change all helps all good advice. I drive my s as dd and keep rpms up no lugging. I got my s used and seemed nochy in third and its gone all smooth but as I stated I double clutch most of the time very happy with how smooth it is. Good luck!

I think lugging the s all the time in low rpms is half the problem once in awhile is ok but people that drive the s under 5k all the time never shifting above this is causing a weird break in. This is a race motor not meant to lug IMO. With the low torque on this car you must get the rpms up let her sing. Its an opinion folks. Drive it the way you want.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM

How long have you had the redline shockproof in your transmission?

Bleeding the clutch helped quite a bit. I'll post more once I've driven it more but I am holding off on the transmission till I get different fluid. I'm thinking either Honda mtf or amsoil mtf.

As to rpms and shifting I don't tend to lug the engine but I am limited to where I can shift in traffic.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM

^Im not sure if its "shockproof" its redline about 6 k miles. I will be changing it out soon. Dont remember it was suggested on these forums others were using it. I dont remember if it said shockproof on bottle. It is redline oil though.

The rpm issue is something that would be hard to prove. I suspect these cars shifted fine when rolled new off showroom floor at any rpm or driving style. I wish I was able to drive a new one. My s had 80k miles on it when I got it first s I ever driven. Third was notchy. I did read this was common. When I changed out my valve retainers I noticed vtec cams showed no signs of ware still had machine marks on them. Looked like new cams. This along with other things about the car makes me sure it was not vtec'ed much. I would like to break in a new s just to see if shifting habbits cause this notchy issue.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
^Im not sure if its "shockproof" its redline about 6 k miles. I will be changing it out soon. Dont remember it was suggested on these forums others were using it. I dont remember if it said shockproof on bottle. It is redline oil though.
It's probably Redline MTL, shockproof is a differential fluid and you wouldn't want to use it in your tranny.

On a sidenote the previous owner of my car used Redline MTL, and the tranny was notchy when I first got the car- mostly the 1st-2nd shift. After getting the car I've done the following changes and the tranny now shifts like brand new. Changes I made:

-Switched to Honda MTF - I dump the fluid once per year regardless of miles, it's cheap maintenance IMO.
-Cleaned out the clutch MC and I change the fluid about twice per year now.
-Clutch rod freeplay adjustment to tighten up the clearance.
-Re-greased the shifter.
-I run a heavier shift knob (moddiction anvil2) it doesn't do much but I like the feel of it and I prefer a pistol grip shift knob compared to round shaped ones. I find that I shift smoother with a pistol grip.

Every fluid works differently for each vehicle, probably due to different wear levels. Sometimes you have to experiment to see what works best in your tranny. Redline MTL is a good fluid, it is thicker than the Honda MTF fluid. I've used it in the past I found that it worked well when it was really hot, but not so good when the fluid was cold - likely due to the viscosity differences. My tranny has been running really well on Honda MTF2 so I'm hesitant to try other fluids. Some people have had good experiences with Amsoil MTF, and GM Synchromesh friction modified fluid.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM

That sounds correct^

MTL
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM

I still need to change the transmission fluid, its still a little notchy but the clutch pedal adjustment and changing my clutch fluid (bled via gravity) worked really well.

Shifting at lower rpms is improved, and now shifting at higher rpms is flawless. Its just sometimes on that 2nd - 3rd shift I feel the notchiness.

Thanks for all the help, ill post back after Ive changed the transmission fluid in a week or so.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems